Here's some cable/broadcast viewer data and historical/competitive comparisons about the McCain speech and the Republican National Convention last night. I'll be posting the complete cable news data momentarily.
MCCAIN SPEECH 10-11:15PM
FOX NEWS – 9.2 MILLION
NBC – 8.7 MILLION
ABC: 6.0 MILLION
CBS: 5.3 MILLION
CNN – 4.8 MILLION
MSNBC -- 2.5 MILLION
- McCain and Palin’s speeches tied to mark FOX News Channel’s highest rated convention telecasts in both FNC’s history AND in cable news history.
- McCain’s speech is tied for FNC’s third highest telecast in its history along with Gov. Sarah Palin’s on Wednesday night (9.2 million viewers) – these were only bested by the Presidential address on the eve Iraqinvasion on 3-19-03 (9.7 million viewers) and a Bush/Kerry presidential debate on 9-30-04 (9.5 million viewers).
- Nearly ¼ of the 38.9 million viewers watched this speech on FOX News.
- FNC’s primetime average last night of 7.4 million viewers was the highest rated primetime convention coverage in the network’s history and marked the third highest rated primetime ever for FNC……only eclipsed by election night 2004 (8.2 million viewers) and the Bush-Kerry Presidential debate on 9./30/04 (7.5 million)
- FNC beat CNN & MSNBC combined for the speech from 10-11:15pm and in prime-time