Via Fox Sports Press Release and these are still fast national, not "final" numbers:
2008 VIEWERSHIP OFF TO SOLID START
Game 1 Dominates All Other Network and Cable Competition
FOX Scores Best Wednesday Night Since May’s Idol Finale
New York -- FOX Sports’ presentation of Game 1 between the Philadelphia Phillies and Tampa Bay Rays posted a solid 9.2/15 household /share, giving the network its first Wednesday prime time household victory since May’s finale, its best night of prime time on any night since the MLB All-Star Game in July and a commanding win over all other networks in several key demographics according to fast national ratings released today by Nielsen Media Research.
“The audience for Game 1 was solid, so the 2008 “It was a very exciting contest that matched two extremely talented teams, and I stand by my pre- assessment that if we get a six or seven game series, with games as compelling as last night’s, we could have the most-watched in several years.” is off to a good start,” said FOX Sports president Ed Goren.
World Series Game 1 Highlights:
- The 2008 Game 1 household rating/share (9.2/15, 14.6 million viewers) is -12% compared to last year’s 10.5/18, 16.9 million viewers for a Game 1 featuring the nationally familiar Red Sox, but +15% better than 2006 Game 1 (Cardinals-Tigers, 8.0/15, 12.8 million viewers).
- FOX’s game coverage and pregame show (6.3/11) combined to give FOX commanding wins for the night in Households and across every significant male and adult demo. FOX averaged an 8.7/14 from 8-11pm in all Homes, topping second-place CBS’s 7.9/13, with ABC (4.4/7) and NBC (4.1/7) lagging much further behind.
- Among Adults 18-49, FOX averaged a 4.4 for the night, +29% better than second place CBS (3.4), followed by ABC (2.3) and NBC (1.9). On both Households and Adults 18-49, Game 1 handed FOX its best Wednesday night performance in over five months, dating back to the May 21 any night of the week since the finale. finale. Last night also ties the July 15 MLB All-Star Game as FOX’s highest-rated night among Household on
2008 WORLD SERIES GAME 1 FAST NATIONALS—Page 2
- Game 1 was quite strong among Men 25-54 and Men 35-54. Last night’s 7.5 among Men 25-54 is just -6% lower than last year’s 8.0 for the Red Sox/Rockies, and up +36% over the 2006 Game 1 (5.5) and up +6% over 2005 (7.1). Game 1 earned an 8.2 among Men 35-54, only -2% off last year (8.4), while up +37% over 2006 (6.0) and +2% over 2005 (8.0).
- With the visiting Phillies winning Game 1 it becomes more likely that the 2008 Fall Classic will extend beyond four games. Only once in the last forty years has the visiting team won Game 1 and gone on to sweep the Series (1999 Yankees). Just reaching a fifth game will likely make this a more-watched World Series than last year.
-- Philadelphia topped all markets with a 35.7/53, averaging a 37.5/66 in the final quarter-hour as Brad Lidge closed out Nearby markets, including Orlando (14.4/23), Fort Myers (13.3/21), and West Palm Beach (12.7/20), showed above average interest, coming in third, fourth and sixth, respectively. Rounding out the top 10 are: Minneapolis (5th, 13.1/22); Milwaukee (7th, 12.5/20); St. Louis (8th, 11.1/17) and New York and Charlotte (t9th, 10.4/17)., and Tampa Bay/St. Petersburg was second posting a 31.9/49.
-- FOX SPORTS --