via press release:
Success of , SAVING GRACE, RAISING THE BAR and LEVERAGE Rank Among Ad-Supported Cable’s Biggest Stories of the Year
Driven in large part by the success of its high-profile original series, TNT has once again secured its place as ad-supported cable’s #1 network in total day delivery of adults 25-54, according to year-to-date numbers from Nielsen Media Research. This will mark the sixth consecutive year TNT has won that prized demographic.
TNT’s enormous success in 2008, which included year-over-year growth across the board, was revved-up by stellar performances by the network’s original series – two that returned from previous years and two that debuted this year.
continued to solidify its position as ad-supported cable’s #1 series of all time, this year averaging 8.5 million viewers, while SAVING GRACE scored a loyal audience of 5.2 million viewers. RAISING THE BAR burst onto the scene with a record-breaking launch on Labor Day, and LEVERAGE scored a personal best for the network with its debut during the height of the broadcast season.
On the sports front, TNT’s coverage of the 2007-08 NBA regular season, the NBA All-Star game and the NBA Playoffs all scored significant growth vs. last year.
“Our strategy this year has been to aggressively expand TNT’s slate of high-quality original programming,” said Steve Koonin, president of Turner Entertainment Networks. “We built on the enormous critical and popular success ofand SAVING GRACE with the launches of RAISING THE BAR and LEVERAGE, setting the stage for TNT to continue challenging the broadcast networks head-on in the coming year.”
2008 Ratings Highlights for TNT:
Year-to-date, TNT ranks #1 in adults 25-54 in total day, up 6% vs. last year.
· TNT is showing primetime and total-day growth across the board, with adults 18-34, adults 18-49, adults 25-54, households and viewers up when compared to last year.
TNT’scontinues to rank as ad-supported cable’s #1 series of all time. This summer, it averaged 8.5 million viewers, 6.3 million households, 2.7 million adults 18-49 and 3.7 million adults 25-54.
·showed growth when compared to last summer, with adults 18-49 up 4%, adults 25-54 up 6% and women 18-49 up 7%.
For its second season, TNT’s SAVING GRACE averaged 5.2 million viewers, 4.0 million households, 1.7 million adults 18-49 and 2.4 million adults 25-54.
· SAVING GRACE consistently ranked as ad-supported cable’s #2 Monday program (behind THE CLOSER).
TNT’s new drama series, RAISING THE BAR, premiered Labor Day and set a new record with ad-supported cable’s largest audience ever – 8.6 million viewers and 6.3 million households – for a new series launch.
· The premiere of RAISING THE BAR also ranked as ad-supported cable’s top series launch for the year among adults 18-49 and adults 25-54.
· RAISING THE BAR averaged 3.2 million viewers for its first season.
TNT’s latest drama series, LEVERAGE, premiered Sunday, Dec. 8, and was watched by 5 million viewers.
· LEVERAGE scored TNT’s best delivery ever of adults 18-49 (2.1 million) for an original series telecast during the broadcast season.
The TNT original movie THE LIBRARIAN: CURSE OF THE JUDAS CHALICE scored big numbers for its December premiere. It was watched by more than 5.4 million viewers.
On the sports front, TNT’s 2007-08 coverage of the NBA garnered double-digit growth across the board, with viewers up 12%, adults 18-34 up 29%, adults 18-49 up 25%, adults 25-54 up 26%, men 18-34 up 39%, men 18-49 up 29% and men 25-54 up 26%.
· TNT’s Feb. 17 coverage of the 2008 NBA All-Star Game on TNT delivered terrific key demo growth among adults 18-34 (+18%), adults 18-49 (+5%), men 18-34 (+20%) and men 18-49 (+5%). The adult and men 18-34 deliveries were TNT’s best since the 2005 NBA All Star Game.
· NBA All-Star Saturday Night on TNT was the most watched in the event’s 23-year history. The festivities saw increases among viewers (+7%), adults 18-34 (+13%), adults 18-49 (+13%), men 18-34 (+17%) and men 18-49 (+15%).
· TNT’s coverage of the 2008 NBA Playoffs was especially strong in audience delivery this year, with the playoff averages showing year-over-year growth among households (+15%), viewers (+14%), adults 18-34 (+25%), adults 18-49 (+22%), adults 25-54 (+24%), men 18-34 (+30%), men 18-49 (+23%) and men 25-54 (+22%).
Turner Network Television (TNT), one of cable’s top-rated networks, is television’s destination for drama and home to such original series as the acclaimed and highly popular detective drama The Closer, starring Kyra Sedgwick; Saving Grace, starring Holly Hunter; Raising the Bar, with Mark-Paul Gosselaar, Gloria Reuben and Jane Kaczmarek; Leverage, starring Timothy Hutton; and Trust Me, with Eric McCormack and Tom Cavanagh. TNT also presents such powerful dramas as, Cold Case, Law & Order, Without a Trace, ER and Charmed; broadcast premiere movies; compelling primetime specials, such as the Screen Actors Guild Awards®; and championship sports coverage, including NASCAR and the NBA. TNT is available in high-definition.
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company, creates and programs branded news, entertainment, animation and young adult media environments on television and other platforms for consumers around the world.
All claims are based on Live + 7 data when available. All other claims are based on Live + Same Day data.
Year-to-Date Ratings Period: 12/31/07-12/7/08