via NBC Universal press release:
Third Consecutive Year as #1; USA First Cable Network To Beat Broadcast Network
NEW YORK – December 17, 2008 – USA was the #1 network in basic cable prime, delivering more P25-54 (1.33 million, +23% over #2 TNT) and P18-49 (1.30 million, +16% over #2 TBS) than any other network the third straight year. In 2008, USA was also the top network in basic cable prime among total viewers (2.84 million, +19% over #2 Disney Channel) and households (2.11 million, +17% over #2 Disney Channel).
USA's 2008 average for P25-54 (1.33 million), P18-49 (1.30 million), total viewers (2.84 million) and households (2.11 million) is the highest ever for a basic cable network in Primetime. USA delivered more P25-54, P18-49, and total viewers than the CW in prime (Mon-Sun 8P-11P). This is the first time a cable network has beaten a broadcast network.
USA swept the year, winning the race for P18-49 and P25-54 entertainment viewers in each of the four quarters for the second year in a row, a feat no other network has ever accomplished. The victory in 4Q08 marked the 10th consecutive quarterly win for USA among P18-49, P25-54 and total viewers for ad-supported entertainment networks – an unrivaled winning streak.
20 of the top 50 P25-54 entertainment telecasts of 2008 were on USA, more than any other network, including the #1 new series of the year, IN PLAIN SIGHT; returning originals BURN NOTICE, MONK, and PSYCH; the year's most-watched weekly series, WWE MONDAY NIGHT RAW; and the most watched movie of the year, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK.
· BURN NOTICE was the #1 original scripted series in basic cable prime among P18-49 (2.76 million).
· Proving again that USA is the home to new hits, IN PLAIN SIGHT was the #1 new original series of the year for both P25-54 (2.66 million) and P18-49 (2.28 million). This is the third year in a row USA has had the #1 new series in these key demos. (PSYCH in 2006, BURN NOTICE in 2007)
· Half of the top ten P25-54 & P18-49 original scripted series were on USA with BURN NOTICE, IN PLAIN SIGHT, MONK, PSYCH and LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT.
· The top three P25-54 acquired series in press prime in 2008 were on USA – #1 HOUSE (1.44 million), #2 NCIS (1.06 million), and #3 LAW & ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT (1.04 million). HOUSE was also the #1 acquired series among P18-49 (1.48 Million).
· USA was also the #1 destination on basic cable for movies in 2008. More P25-54, P18-49, and P18-34 choose USA as a movie destination than any other network in basic cable prime. USA was the only network to deliver over 1 million in P25-54 movie viewers (1.11 million, +16% more than #2 TNT), 1.15 million in P18-49 (+14% over #2 TBS) and 562,000 in P18-34 (+4% over TBS).
USA Network is the #1 network in all of basic cable and is seen in 94 million U.S. homes. A division of NBC Universal, USA is the cable television leader in original series and is home to the best in blockbuster theatrical films, acquired television and entertainment events. The award-winning USA website is located at www.usanetwork.com. Characters Welcome.
USA Network is a program service of NBC Universal Cable a division of NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience.