'Today' Tops GMA by Nearly 1.2 Million Viewers

Categories: Morning News TV Ratings,Network TV Press Releases

Written By

December 29th, 2008

Via NBC Press release:

'TODAY' DOMINATES THE COMPETITION TOPPING GMA BY NEARLY 1.2 MILLION VIEWERS
Published: December 29, 2008

photo

"Today" Posts Its Biggest Total Viewer Delivery Since the Week of April 28, Excluding the Olympics

Season-to-Date, "Today" Has Increased Its Advantages Over GMA in Total Viewers, Homes, and Key Demos

"Today II" Posts its Best Non-Olympic Total Viewer Delivery Since The Week of January 14, and "Today III" Posts Best Total Viewer Delivery Ever for a Non-Holiday Week

NEW YORK – December 29, 2008 – NBC News' "Today" continues as the dominant morning news program topping the competition in all categories. For the week ending December 21, "Today" was No. 1 with 6.02 million total viewers – a 1.16 million (+24%) advantage over GMA, and a more than 2.5 million (+72%) lead over "The Early Show." This week's win marks "Today's" 680th consecutive week in first place.

Excluding the Beijing Olympics, this represents "Today's" largest total viewer delivery since the week of April 28, 2008. Season to date, "Today's" advantages over GMA have increased in homes, total viewers, and all key demos.

For the week, "Today" led with a 4.6 household rating/15 share and 6.02 million viewers. "GMA" placed second with 3.6/12 and 4.86 million viewers. CBS' "The Early Show" was in third place, with a 2.6/9 and 3.51 million viewers. "Today" increased it deliveries in homes (+5%), total viewers (+4%), rating W18-49 (+9%), and rating W/M25-54 (+4%/+7%) versus the prior week.

In rating A25-54, "Today" led GMA by +29% (5 tenths) and beat the "Early Show" by +69% (9 tenths). In rating A18-49, "Today" outperformed GMA by +31% (4 tenths) and Early Show by +89% (8 tenths).

"Today II" delivered a 2.9/10 in homes and 3.88 million viewers. "Today II" posted its best non-Olympic total viewership since the week of January 14, 2008. "Today II" outperformed CBS Early Show in total viewers and homes. "Today II" increased week-to-week in homes (+12%), total viewers (+11%), rating W/M/A18-49 (+8%/+20%/+13%) and rating W/M/A25-54 (+14%/+29%/+9%).

"Today III" posted its best total viewer delivery ever for a non-holiday week with 2.17 million viewers and a 1.6/6 rating in homes. Versus the prior week, "Today III" improved in homes (+7%), total viewers (+2%), rating M18-49 (+33%) and rating W/M/A25-54 (+11%/+25%/+14%). Compared to the same week last season, "Today III" was up in total viewers (+4%), rating W18-49 (+14%), and rating W/M/A25-54 (+11%/+25%/+14%).

On its digital platforms, "Today" continued its strong performance during the week ending December 20 with more than 6.8 million online streams. TODAYshow.com's stories, blog, message boards and live votes were also popular with users.

Jim Bell is the executive producer of "Today" (Monday - Friday, 7-11 a.m.).

 
© 2014 Tribune Digital Ventures