via ESPN press release:
ESPN’s World Baseball Classic Audience Continues to Grow
ESPN Platforms to Showcase Semifinals and Final from L.A. Beginning March 21
New SNB Team – Miller, Morgan & Phillips – to Debut
ESPN’s World Baseball Classic coverage is demonstrating consistent audience growth across multimedia platforms. Through the second round to date, ESPN’s telecasts are averaging 1,675,000 viewers (up 53 percent), 1,264,000 household impressions (up 36 percent) and a 1.3 average(up 30 percent). At this time in 2006, ESPN’s telecasts were averaging 1,098,000 viewers, 930,000 households and a 1.0 rating.
The World Baseball Classic has also led to significant audience growth for additional ESPN outlets:
- ESPN Deportes’ live World Baseball Classic telecasts are averaging a 1.9 Hispanic household rating, 82,000 Hispanic households and 115,000 Hispanic viewers;
- The United States vs. Puerto Rico game (March 14) is the network’s highest-rated World Baseball Classic telecast to date delivering a 3.4 Hispanic rating, 148,000 Hispanic households and 211,000 Hispanic viewers;
- The USA/Puerto Rico telecast is ESPN Deportes’ highest-rated, non-soccer event ever;
- World Baseball Classic telecasts account for the network’s top 13 highest-rated, non-soccer events.
- The World Baseball Classic has helped ESPNdeportes.com deliver 68.8 million page viewsfor March 2009.
- There have been 3.1 million views of World Baseball Classic-related video.