We had an early ratings report on the Battlestar Galactica finale, but here is more detail via an NBCU press release.
via NBCU press release:
SCI FI is #1 Cable Network
Series Finale is #1 Telecast for the Day Among Both Cable and Broadcast
Final Season Gains Double Digits vs. Season 3
New York, NY – March 23, 2009 – Battlestar Galactica wrapped a phenomenal series run on Friday evening with a finale episode that topped the competition on both cable and broadcast. As previously announced, Friday’s two-hour (9pm to 11pm) episode on SCI FI delivered a 1.7 household rating with 2.4 million total viewers watching live (1.5 million Adults 18-49 and 1.6 million Adults 25-54), becoming the most-watched episode of the series in over three years. In addition:
Battlestar Galactica Finale Ratings Update
· Battlestar Galactica was the #1 entertainment program on television Friday night for adult male viewers, beating all non-sports telecasts on cable and broadcast for both Males 18-49 and Males 25-54, including new episodes of both Dollhouse and Sarah Connor Chronicles on FOX.
· In both the Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54 demos, the Battlestar Galactica finale was the #1 cable telecast for the day, and SCI FI was the #1 cable network in 8-11 PM prime for both demos as well.
· For its full fourth season, Battlestar Galactica averaged a 1.8 Household rating, 1.6 million Adults 18-49, 1.7 million Adults 25-54 and 2.3 million total viewers. (Note that this does not include the final DVR playback data for the final 2 episodes, and in season 4.5 to-date the series has added over 700,000 viewers per episode from 7-day DVR playback.)
· Season 4 is up vs. season 3 by + 13% in Household ratings, +15% in Adults 18-49, +16% in Adults 25-54 and +14% in total viewers.
· This is the best full season performance for Battlestar Galactica in Adults 18-49, Adults 25-54 and total viewers since season 1.
In addition, fans flocked to SCIFI.COM on Friday to bid farewell to the series, resulting in a surge in Battlestar Galactica traffic versus the season 4.0 finale by +20% in page views, +45% in unique users and +20% in video streams. Battlestar Galactica was also the #1 section of SCIFI.com on 3/20/09 across all key metrics.
Battlestar Galactica is the gripping saga of humanity’s last remnants and their struggle to find a new home while fleeing from their deadly Cylon enemies. Redefining the space opera with its gritty realism, Galactica’s intensity, issues-driven topicality, and command performances have garnered it numerous awards, including two Emmys and the prestigious George Foster Peabody Award. The show was recognized by the American Film Institute (AFI) as one of the most outstanding programs of the year two years running. The series is from Universal Cable Productions and is executive produced by Ronald D. Moore and David Eick.
SCI FI Channel is a television network where “what if” is what’s on. SCI FI fuels the imagination of viewers with original series and events, blockbuster movies and classic science fiction and fantasy programming, as well as a dynamic Web site (www.scifi.com <http://www.scifi.com>) and magazine. Launched in 1992, and currently in 95 million homes, SCI FI Channel is a network of NBC Universal, one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies.