Nuggets/Lakers Game 3 – ABC’s Most-Viewed NBA Conference Telecast Ever
ABC’s telecast of the NBA Western Conference Finals Game 3 between the Denver Nuggets and Los Angeles Lakers Saturday, May 23, at 8:30 p.m. ET attracted 8,725,587 viewers (P2+) and earned a 5.4 HH rating according to “Fast National” ratings, representing an average of 6,159,000 household impressions to become the network’s most-viewed NBA Conference Finals telecast ever. The telecast outpaced the 2006 Detroit/Miami Eastern Conference Final game which averaged 8,190,000 viewers (P2+,) 6,074,000 households and a 5.5 rating.
- Game 4 of the Western Conference Finals on ESPN delivered a 7.1 overnight household rating, an increase in 42 percent from The Game 4 of the 2008 Eastern Conference Final between Boston and Detroit (5.0). (National ratings for Game 4 will be available Wednesday).
- ESPN is averaging a 3.1 rating for the 2009 NBA post season, up three percent from 2008.In addition, ESPN is up 7 percent in household impressions (3,059,000 in 2009) and 10 percent in viewers (4,049,000).
- The Nuggets/Lakers outpaced last year’s Eastern Conference Finals Game 3 between Detroit/Boston by 60 percent in viewers (5,454,000), 48 percent in households (4,171,000)and 46 percent in rating (3.7).
- ESPN’s two game Western Conference Finals have averaged a 5.8 rating, up 29 percentfrom 2008 and up 31 percent in household impressions and 43 percent in P2+ (4.5 rating, 4,316,000 impressions and 5,570,000 viewers in 2008)
- The Nuggets/Lakers game 3 delivered a 19.2 rating in Denver, the highest-rated NBA Game on ABC ever locally (records date back to 2003). In L.A., The Game posted a 14.4 rating.
- Game 4 of the Western Conference Finals was also the most viewed NBA Game ever onESPN360.com, with nearly 2.8 million minutes of time spent by users -- breaking a record set by Game 2 last week. It is the third time in the series that a game broke the record for most viewed NBA Game on ESPN360.com (Games 1, 2 and 4).
Coverage of the Western Conference Finals will continue with the Nuggets visiting the Lakers forGame 5 Wednesday, May 27, on ESPN at 9:00 p.m. Mike Breen will call The Game with analysts Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy and reporter Doris Burke. The Game will also be available via ESPN Radio. Kia NBA Shootaround will preview The Game on ESPN at 8 p.m.