via press release:
Quick Take for Wednesday, June 24, 2009
(Fast Affiliate Live + Same Day Ratings)
ABC Delivers Year-to-Year Increases on Wednesday
in Viewers and Young Adults for the 3rd Week in a Row
“Wipeout” is No. 1 at 8pm in Total Viewers and Adults 18-49,
And for the 5th Consecutive Week Ranks No. 1 Across the Key Men Demos
“Wipeout” Retains 100% of its Week-ago Adults 18-49 Performance,
While Posting Increases Among Key Women and Kids 2-11
“I Survived a Japanese Game Show” Takes Second at 9pm to
NBC’s “America’s Got Talent” in Hard-to-Reach Men 18-34
“I Survived a Japanese Game Show” Improves on ABC’s Performance
On the Year-Ago Night in Total Viewers and Adults 18-49
ABC News’ “Primetime” Builds on its Lead-in, Sees its Audience Grow on the
Half-Hour and Draws ABC’s Largest Audience at 10pm in 6 Weeks
Wednesday Night (8:00-11:00 p.m.)
ABC ranked No. 2 to NBC on Wednesday night among Men 18-34 (1.4/5-tied) and Men 18-49 (1.6/5-tie).
- For the 3rd week in a row, ABC’s Wednesday results were up from the same night last summer (6/25/08) in Total Viewers (5.5 million vs. 5.1 million) and Adults 18-49 (1.8/6 vs. 1.7/5).
“Wipeout” (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
ABC’s “Wipeout” ranked No. 1 in the 8 o’clock hour among Total Viewers (7.7 million) and Adults 18-49 (2.7/9-tie), taking the top spot in its time period among young adults for the 3rd time in its 5 telecasts during the summer. “Wipeout” outperformed the season finale of “I’m a Celebrity….Get Me Out of Here” by 3.3 million viewers (7.7 million vs. 4.4 million) and by 80% in Adults 18-49 (2.7/9 vs. 1.5/5).
- For the 5th straight week, the ABC unscripted series finished No. 1 in its time slot across all key Men demos (M18-34 – 2.1/8, M18-49 – 2.5/9 and M25-54 – 2.6/9).
- “Wipeout” retained 100% of its week-ago Adults 18-49 performance, while posting increases among Women 18-49 (2.9/9), Women 25-54 (3.2/9) and Kids 2-11 (2.9/12 vs. 2.8/9).
“I Survived a Japanese Game Show” (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
ABC’s “I Survived a Japanese Game Show” ranked second in its time period among hard-to-reach Men 18-34 (1.6/5), behind only the Wednesday premiere of NBC’s “America’s Got Talent.”
- “I Survived a Japanese Game Show” improved the hour for ABC over the same night last year (6/25/08) in both Total Viewers (4.2 million vs. 4.0 million) and Adults 18-49 (1.6/5 vs. 1.4/4).
“Primetime: Questions for the President: Prescription for America” (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
The ABC News special, “Primetime: Questions for the President: Prescription for America,” drew 4.7 million viewers, attracting the Net’s largest audience in the 10 o’clock hour in 6 weeks – since 5/13/09.
- Building on its Total Viewer lead-in by 12% (4.7 million vs. 4.2 million), the ABC newsmagazine saw its audience grow from its first half-hour to its second half-hour (4.6 million to 4.8 million).
A note about increasing DVR penetration and year-to-year rating comparisons: Year-to-year rating comparisons based on the Live + Same Day data stream are distorted by the level of DVR penetration in the Nielsen sample, which has jumped up to 32% currently, from 25% at the same point in 2008. More viewers are watching shows on their own timetables, which may not be reflected in the overnight next day numbers. The only truly valid year-to-year comparison would be one based on the Live + 7 Day metric, once those stats are released by Nielsen.
Source: Nielsen Media Research (Fast Affiliate Live + Same Day Program Ratings), 6/24/09.