Growing its Sunday Audience for the 3rd Week in a Row, ABC Marks its Most-Watched Non-Sports Summer Sunday in 3 Years
and for the third week in a row, ABC doesn’t even reference Defying Gravity in the Sunday night press release! But I know there are some Shark Tank fans who’ll want to scroll down (way down due to a billion sub headlines) to the blurb on series highs…
Growing its Sunday Audience for the 3rd Week in a Row, ABC
Marks its Most-Watched Non-Sports Summer Sunday in 3 Years
Through its 11-Night Run, the 10th Anniversary “Millionaire” Event Improves the
Time Slots Year to Year for ABC by 3.4 Million Viewers and by 27% in Adults 18-49
Drawing its Biggest Summer Audience Since August 2006, ABC’s Repeat
“Funniest Home Videos” Wins Sunday’s 7pm Hour by 33% in Adults 18-49
Capping Off its 11-Night Run with the Show’s Biggest Audience, the
“Millionaire” Finale Emerges as Sunday Night’s Most-Watched TV Show
Increasing its Overall Audience for the 2nd Straight Week, ABC’s “Shark Tank”
Stands as the Most-Watched Show in Sunday’s 9pm Hour for the 2nd Week Running
ABC’s “Shark Tank” Overshadows its Freshman Unscripted Competition at 9pm, Dominating CBS’ “Neighborhood” by 1.8 Million Viewers and by 50% in Adults 18-49
Sunday Night (8:00-11:00 p.m.)
Growing its Sunday night audience for the 3rd week in a row, ABC tallied its most-watched non-sports Summer Sunday (5.6 million) in 3 years – since 8/27/06.
“America’s Funniest Home Videos” (7:00-8:00 p.m.)
ABC’s repeat “America’s Funniest Home Videos” won the 7 o’clock hour in Adults 18-49, beating second-place CBS’ original “60 Minutes” by 33% (1.6/6 vs. 1.2/4). In fact it was the 4th time in the past 5 weeks that the replay “AFV” finished No. 1 in its time period in the key young sales demo.
- “AFV” pulled in its largest summer audience since August 2006 – since 8/20/06.
“Millionaire – 8/23” (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
On the finale of its 11-night run, ABC’s “Millionaire” finished No. 1 in the 8 o’clock hour, outdrawing CBS’ “Big Brother,” and stood as the most-watched TV show on Sunday night (7.6 million). In fact the Sunday closer of “Millionaire” attracted the show’s biggest audience during its 10th anniversary event.
- In addition to hitting its best Total Viewer number, “Millionaire” also posted event-high numbers with Adults 18-34 (tie), Adults 25-54 (tie) and Kids 2-11.
- On average through its 11-night run, the 10th-anniversary “Millionaire” event improved ABC’s performance in the time periods by 3.4 million viewers (6.9 million vs. 3.5 million) and by 27% in Adults 18-49 (1.4/5 vs. 1.1/3) over the same nights last year.
“Shark Tank” (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
Building its overall audience for the 2nd straight week, ABC’s “Shark Tank” registered as the most-watched television show in the 9 o’clock hour for the 2nd week running. In fact against its freshman unscripted competition in the hour, ABC’s “Shark Tank” topped CBS’ “There Goes the Neighborhood” by 1.8 million viewers (5.6 million vs. 3.8 million) by 50% in Adults 18-49 (1.8/5 vs. 1.2/3).
- “Shark Tank” achieved series-highs in Total Viewers, Men 18-34, Men 25-54 and Women 25-54.
- For the 2nd week in a row, “Shark Tank” produced ABC’s biggest non-sports audience to the time period since last July and its top Adult 18-49 rating (tie) since last August – since 7/13/08 and 8/24/08, respectively.
A note about increasing DVR penetration and year-to-year rating comparisons: Year-to-year rating comparisons based on the Live + Same Day data stream are distorted by the level of DVR penetration in the Nielsen sample, which has jumped up to 32% currently, from 26% at the same point in 2008. More viewers are watching shows on their own timetables, which may not be reflected in the overnight next day numbers. The only truly valid year-to-year comparison would be one based on the Live + 7 Day metric, once those stats are released by Nielsen.