via Cartoon Network / Adult Swim:
The original live-action/CG-animated movie special Scooby-Doo! The Mystery Begins set all-new records as the most-watched telecast in Cartoon Network history, delivering a cumulative audience of 13,397,000 viewers.
- Over its four telecasts, the movie scored as ad-supported cable’s #1 program of the quarter among boys 2-11 (1.2 million) and boys 6-11 (901,000).
- The premiere of the movie ranks as the #1 telecast in Cartoon Network history with kids 2-11 (7.4/ 3 million), kids 6-11 (9.3 / 2.3 million), kids 9-14 (7.5 / 1.8 million), boys 2-11 (9.4 / 2 million) and boys 6-11 (12.2 / 1.5 million).
- The movie premiere was television’s #1 telecast of the day (Sunday, Sept. 13) among all kids and boys demos.
- The Sept. 13 premiere also gave Cartoon Network the best primetime and total day deliveries of kids 2-11, kids and boys 6-11 and kids and boys 9-14 in the network’s history.
Since its Aug. 18 premiere,has ranked #1 in its timeslot (Wednesday, 8:30 p.m.) on all television—broadcast and cable—among boys 6-11. Importantly, each subsequent telecast of has attracted more boys 6-11 week after week.
- The live-action alternative series has earned double and triple-digit ratings and delivery growth among key kids and boys demos when compared to the same time period in 2008.
- Average kids 9-14 ratings (2.2) have increased by 83% and delivery (527,000) by 87%.
- Boys 9-14 ratings (3.6) have grown by 125% and delivery (448,000) by 129%.
- Similar results have been achieved among kids 6-11, with average ratings (2.6) improving by 44% and delivery (640,000) by 48%.
- To date, boys 6-11 average ratings (4.2) have advanced by 62% and delivery (525,000) by 64%.
Adult Swim Adds 3rd Quarter ’09 as Basic Cable’s #1 Ranking Network
For Total Day Delivery of Adults & Men 18-34, 18-24
Late-Night Network Achieves Solid Ratings, Delivery Growth Among All Young Adult Demos Compared to 2008
With 3rd Quarter ’09 performance numbers now confirmed, Adult Swim once again ranks #1 among ad-supported basic cable networks for total day delivery of adults 18-34, adults 18-24, men 18-34 and men 18-24, according to preliminary data from Nielsen Media Research. Despite expanding into the highly competitive 10 p.m. hour in prime time earlier this year, the late-night network continued to build its young adult audience base throughout the quarter, earning solid ratings and delivery growth across its targeted young adult demos. Especially noteworthy is that women 18-34 delivery grew by 35% and women 18-24 delivery by 14% compared to 3rd Quarter last year.
Also of note, the July through September ’09 performance extends Adult Swim’s #1 quarterly ranking with adults 18-34 among basic cable networks to 16 of the last 18 quarters—since the network premiered separately from Cartoon Network in April 2005. Adult Swim also has ranked #1 in total day delivery of adults 18-24 and men 18-24 for every quarter since becoming an individually rated network.
Among Adult Swim’s programming highlights, the Tuesday, Sept. 8 telecast of(11:30 p.m.) was the most-watched Adult Swim telecast of the quarter among adults 18-34 (1,650,000), which earned a 2.4 rating. Further highlights of Adult Swim’s 3rd Quarter ’09 performance vs. its 3rd Quarter ‘08 numbers include the following:
ADULT SWIM (Monday-Sunday, 10 p.m.-6 a.m.) vs. the Same 2008 Time Period
- Adults 18-34 average delivery (453,000) increased by 12%, and ratings (0.7) by 17%
- Adults 18-24 average delivery (231,000) increased by 6%, and ratings (0.8) were unchanged
- Adults 18-49 average delivery (624,000) increased by 18%, and ratings (0.5) by 25%
- Men 18-34 delivery (276,000) increased by 1%, and ratings (0.8) were unchanged
- Men 18-24 delivery (149,000) increased by 2%, and ratings (1.0) were unchanged
- Men 18-49 delivery (372,000) increased by 8%, and ratings (0.6) by 20%
Adult Swim (AdultSwim.com) is Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.’s network offering original and acquired animated and live-action series for young adults. Airing nightly from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. (ET, PT), Adult Swim shares channel space with Cartoon Network, home to the best in original, classic and acquired programming for children and families, and is seen in 97 million U.S. homes.
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company, creates and programs branded news, entertainment, animation and young adult media environments on television and other platforms for consumers around the world.
RATING PERIOD: 6/29/09 – 9/27/09
SOURCE: Turner Entertainment Research from Preliminary Nielsen Media Research data, based on most current data available (Live+SD). Complete and final data (Live+7) will be available in two weeks. These television ratings data are reproduced here with permission from Nielsen Media Research. Reproduction of these data in volume, without permission from Nielsen Media Research, is prohibited.
NOTES: All ratings based on Total U.S. Television Universe of 114,500,000 homes.