Cold Case: One Season Too Many?
Our Renew / Cancel Index predicts potential renewal or cancellation for scripted broadcast primetime shows for the 2010-11 season:
- Likely To Be Canceled By May, 2010
- Some Danger Of Being Canceled By May, 2010
- Likely to Be Renewed For The 2010-11 Season
|Program||Renew/ Cancel Index|
|New Adventures of Old Christine (S)||0.70|
|Ghost Whisperer (F), (S)||0.73|
|The Good Wife||0.98|
|Accidentally On Purpose (p)||1.05|
|How I Met Your Mother (S)||1.14|
|NCIS: Los Angeles||1.40|
|Two And A Half Men||1.43|
|Big Bang Theory||1.49|
Cold Case and Without A Trace presumably battled it out for the last drama renewal from CBS last spring. Cold Case was the winner of that fight, but is immediately looking like it’s overstayed its welcome. (WAT fans stifle your whining, my guess is that the same would’ve happened to that show). No other CBS shows seem in obvious danger yet. New Adventures of Old Christine and Gary Unmarried are low once again, but what’s new? If CBS is determined to weather their terrible ratings to establish another night of comedy they may be fine for another renewal.
This is a breakdown of CBS scripted shows and their renewal and cancellation prospects. Here are links to the other networks:
The Renew/Cancel Index is a show’s Season To Date adults 18-49 rating divided by its network’s Season to Date average 18-49 rating. If a show’s season to date 18-49 ratings average equalled its network’s 18-49 average, the show would have an Index of 1.00. Without special factors, scripted shows that were more than 10% below their network’s average are typically canceled by the end of the broadcast primetime season.
Factors that could cause a show to be renewed with well below average index:
- (F) -Fridays: Shows airing on Friday’s have been renewed with significantly lower than average Indexes.
- (S) – Syndication: Shows nearing syndication (66-88 episodes), often have economic factors that trump ratings leading to renewal.
- (T) – Third Party: Shows that have a portion of their cost underwritten by a 3rd party can be renewed with substantially lower ratings.
Factors that could cause a show to be cancelled with an above average index:
- (p) – Plum timeslot: Shows in plum time slots with average or slightly above average ratings have been cancelled.
Nielsen TV Ratings Data: ©2009 The Nielsen Company. All Rights Reserved. All ratings used are Live+Same Day viewing.