via press release:
Beating Out its Non-Sports Driven Competition on CBS, ABC
Hits Sunday Season-Highs in Total Viewers and Adults 18-49
“America’s Biggest Audience Since March
At 8pm, ABC’s “” Beat CBS’ “ ” Across Key Adults,
Equaling the Series’ Biggest Overall Audience in the Hour in More Than 1 Year
Generating its Biggest Audience in 6 Weeks, ABC’s “ ”
Stands as Sunday’s Most-Watched Entertainment Show for 8 Weeks Running
Marking its Most-Watched Telecast in Nearly 8 Months, “Brothers & Sisters”
Tops CBS’ “Cold Case” at 10pm by 1 Million Viewers and by 52% in Adults 18-49
Sunday Night (7:00-11:00 p.m.)
Hitting Sunday season highs up against substantial sports competition on the evening, with Fox’s big NFL overrun (Dallas-Green Bay) into the 7 o’clock hour and another huge turnout for NBC’s down-to-the-wire game (Patriots-Colts), ABC beat its non-sports driven competition on CBS by 7% in Total Viewers (11.1 million vs. 10.4 million) and by 52% in Adults 18-49 (3.5/9 vs. 2.3/6).
- ABC drew its biggest non-sports audience on the night (excluding the Oscars) in nearly 1 year and its best Adult 18-49 number in 6 months – since 11/30/08 and 5/17/09, respectively.
“America’s ” (7:00-8:00 p.m.)
In the 7 o’clock hour against Fox’s NFL overrun, ABC’s “America’s” drew its biggest audience (8.5 million) since the beginning of March (since 3/1/09), while posting its second-highest Adult 18-49 number (2.2/6) this season.
“: ” (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
In the 8 o’clock hour, ABC’s “: ” defeated its CBS unscripted competition in the time slot (“ ”) across each of the key Adult demos: AD18-34 (2.6/7), AD18-49 (3.6/9) and AD25-54 (4.5/10).
- Earning season highs in Total Viewers (11.6 million) and Adults 18-49 (3.6/9), ABC’s “ ” equaled its biggest audience in the hour in more than 1 year and its highest young adult number since early January – since 10/26/08 and 1/4/09, respectively.
“” (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
ABC’s “the night’s most-watched entertainment program on all 8 weeks this season and for 6 straight weeks among Adults 18-49.” once again finished as Sunday’s No. 1 non-sports television program in Total Viewers (14.4 million) and Adults 18-49 (4.9/12), qualifying as
- Growing week to week in Total Viewers (+4%) and Adults 18-49 (+11%), “biggest audience in 6 weeks, its 2nd biggest this season – since 10/4/09. ” drew its
- “Housewives” is generating an even bigger increase this season than last over its first-reported numbers through DVR playback, picking up an average 1.7 million viewers and an additional 7-tenths of an Adult 18-49 point from the initially reported Live + Same Day Numbers to the Live + 7 Day DVR finals.
“Brothers & Sisters” (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
Surging week to week in viewers (+12%) and young adults (+10%), ABC’s “Brothers & Sisters” continued to dominate its drama competition in the 10 o’clock hour, topping CBS’ “Cold Case” by 1 million viewers (10.2 million vs. 9.2 million) and by 52% in Adults 18-49 (3.2/8 vs. 2.1/5).
Producing its biggest audience this season, “Brothers & Sisters” generated its most-watched telecast in nearly 8 months – since 3/22/09.
- Like its lead-in, “Brothers & Sisters” is seeing a sizeable uptick this season over its first-reported numbers through DVR playback (also bigger than last season), picking up an average 1.3 million viewers and an additional 5-tenths of an Adult 18-49 rating point from the initially reported Live + Same Day Numbers to the Live + 7 Day DVR finals.
A note about increasing DVR penetration and year-to-year rating comparisons: Year-to-year rating comparisons based on the Live + Same Day data stream are distorted by the level of DVR penetration in the Nielsen sample, which has jumped up to 33% currently, from 28% at the same point in 2008. More viewers are watching shows on their own timetables, which may not be reflected in the overnight next day numbers. The only truly valid year-to-year comparison would be one based on the Live + 7 Day metric, once those stats are released by Nielsen.
Source: Nielsen Media Research (Fast Affiliate, Live + Same Day Ratings), 11/15/09. DVR Playback = 9/21-11/1/09.