Lopez Tonight Scores Big First Week Ratings
via press release:
LOPEZ TONIGHT Scores Big First Week,
Beating the Competition Among Young-Adult Viewers
In its first week on TBS, the high-energy late-night series LOPEZ TONIGHT averaged more than 1.6 million viewers and outdelivered the competition among highly coveted young adults. The show has proven to be a big multicultural hit for the network, with Hispanic and African-American viewers making up a significant portion of the audience.
“We couldn’t be more thrilled with how LOPEZ TONIGHT performed in its first week,” said Steve Koonin, president of Turner Entertainment Networks. “The show not only changed the face of late night television but also infused the 11 o’clock hour with an exciting new energy that won viewers in a big way.”
A highlight reel of memorable moments from LOPEZ TONIGHT’s first week is available at http://tinyurl.com/lopeztonight.
Ratings for the first week of TBS’s LOPEZ TONIGHT:
- For the week, LOPEZ TONIGHT on TBS averaged 1,611,000 viewers; 1,165,000 households; 597,000 adults 18-34; and 1,027,000 adults 18-49.
- The series hit a high on TBS with Wednesday’s episode, scoring 2 million viewers and 1.2 million adults 18-49.
- LOPEZ TONIGHT delivered outstanding growth for TBS in the 11 p.m. hour, with viewers up 53%, households up 41%, adults 18-34 up 61% and adults 18-49 up 58% when compared to the same time period for the prior four weeks.
- Among both adults 18-34 and 18-49, LOPEZ TONIGHT outdelivered the season-to-date averages for The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel Live and Last Call with Carson Daly. In addition, LOPEZ TONIGHT outdelivered the season-to-date average forLate Show with David Letterman and the series premiere of The Wanda Sykes Show among adults 18-34.
- LOPEZ TONIGHT on TBS averaged a viewer median age of 33 last week, which is younger than all competing late-night talk shows.
- LOPEZ TONIGHT was a big hit on the multicultural front, with Hispanic viewers accounting for 33% of the audience, while African-American viewers accounted for 24%. In addition, the series enjoyed a higher concentration of Hispanic viewers (33%), Hispanic adults 18-34 (40%) and Hispanic adults 18-49 (34%) than any late-night talk show on the broadcast networks.
- TBS’s Monday night premiere of LOPEZ TONIGHT was simulcast on TNT and truTV and was sampled by a total of 3.2 million viewers over the three networks. By itself, TBS’s premiere-night telecast delivered 1.8 million viewers. On Tuesday, the show delivered 1.4 million viewers, followed by 2 million viewers on Wednesday and 1.3 million viewers on Thursday.
LOPEZ TONIGHT airs on TBS Monday through Thursday at 11 p.m. (ET/PT). This week, LOPEZ TONIGHT is scheduled to feature Charlie Sheen, Demi Lovato, Oscar de la Hoya, Ted Danson and Floyd Mayweather, as well as musical performances by Slash and Justin Bieber, to name a few.
LOPEZ TONIGHT comes to TBS from 2.2 Productions, paraMedia Inc. and Telepictures Productions. Lopez is executive producing the show with Jim Paratore (The Ellen DeGeneres Show, The Bonnie Hunt Show) and Mike Gibbons (The Late Late Show).
For the 2009-10 season, Telepictures Productions, an industry-leading and Emmy®-winning producer of syndicated programming (having garnered 59 Emmys in 13 years, including Outstanding Talk Show/Talk Show Host for 11 of the last 13 years), is producing eight nationally syndicated strips, including the seventh season of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, the fifth season of The Tyra Banks Show and the 16th season of Extra.
TBS, a division of Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., is television’s top-rated comedy network. It serves as home to such original comedy series as My Boys, Tyler Perry’s House of Payne and Meet the Browns, as well as the upcoming Neighbors from Hell; late-night series like Lopez Tonight, starring George Lopez, and the upcoming The Very Funny Show, hosted by Tim Meadows; hot contemporary comedies like The Office, My Name is Earl, Family Guy and Seinfeld; specials like Funniest Commercials of the Year; special events, including star-studded comedy festivals in Chicago and Las Vegas; blockbuster movies; and hosted movie showcases.
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company, creates and programs branded news, entertainment, animation and young adult media environments on television and other platforms for consumers around the world.
All data from Nielsen Media Research.
TBS comparison to prior four weeks excludes Major League Baseball playoff coverage.
Season-to-date data for late-night competition calculated from 9/21/09 – 11/09/09.
As Nielsen defines African-American and Hispanic, the two categories are not exclusive, nor are their percentages additive.