Bill posted the numbers last night, but here's the official press release from USA with a bit more detail, including Friday's fall finale of "."
9.4 MILLION VIEWERS OBSESS OVER MONK SERIES FINALE
MONK Finale Becomes Basic Cable's Most-Watched Original Drama Episode Ever
USA’s Newest Original SeriesAlso Hits Series Highs
NEW YORK, NEW YORK – December 7, 2009 – After eight successful seasons on the air, the series finale of the USA Original MONK on Friday Night (9pm) set records as it became the most-watched basic cable original drama series telecast of all time in total viewers. Hitting series highs for its final episode, a rare feat in the TV landscape shared by only an elite group of iconic series, the finale brought in 9.4 million total viewers, beating the prior series high by +37% (MONK had never been above 7 million total viewers in its eight seasons). The series that experts say started the resurgence of original programming on cable garnered seven best comedy actor Emmy nominations (and three wins) for Tony Shalhoub in the title role throughout the run.
- The finale delivered series high in P18-49 with 3.2 million beating the prior series high by +10% (This was the first time MONK surpassed the 3 million benchmark in this demo).
- MONK delivered 3.7 million P25-54 viewers beating the prior series high by +2%.
- The MONK finale now holds the title of USA's top original series telecast of all time among total viewers, is #2 among P25-54 and #3 among P18-49.
- MONK easily topped everything on broadcast for the night in P2+, P18-49 and P25-54 based on fast nationals for broadcast.
- Among cable entertainment telecasts for 2009TD, the MONK finale on Live+Same is the #1 P25-54 scripted telecast on basic or pay cable, the #1 scripted telecast on ad-supported basic cable in total viewers and the #1 P18-49 scripted telecast on basic cable.
The fall season finale of USA’s newest original(10pm) also hit series highs. The show delivered 5.55 million total viewers topping the series premiere – the prior series high – by +3%. This is the best performance for USA in the Fri 10-11 time slot in total viewers in more than three years. The finale also garnered amazing demo deliveries, including 2.1 million P18-49 (topping the series premiere by +18% and best in time slot since 1/11/08) and 2.25 million P25-54 (topping the series premiere by +3% and best in time slot since 2/15/08). also beat new originals on broadcast in total viewers and key demos (based on fast national data).
USA Network is the #1 network in all of basic cable and is seen in over 98.5 million U.S. homes. A division of NBC Universal, USA is the cable television leader in original series and home to the best in blockbuster theatrical films, acquired television series and entertainment events. The award-winning USA website is located at www.usanetwork.com. Characters Welcome.
USA Network is a program service of NBC Universal Cable a division of NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience.