via press release:
SYFY ROARS TO END OF GAME-CHANGING YEAR
JULY 7 BRAND EVOLUTION POWERS SYFY TO #4
AMONG ADULTS 25-54 AND #6 AMONG ADULTS 18-49
FUELS RECORD-SETTING FIVE MONTHS OF VIEWING
FOLLOWING MOST WATCHED THIRD QUARTER, OCTOBER AND NOVEMBER EVER, SYFY PACING FOR BEST FOURTH QUARTER IN HISTORY
SYFY'S 3 MOST-WATCHED ORIGINAL SEASONS EVER AIRED IN 2009 – WAREHOUSE 13, EUREKA, AND GHOST HUNTERS
Syfy.com Projecting Best Year Ever in all Key Metrics
New York, NY -- December 14, 2009 -- New Year’s Eve might be three weeks away, but it’s not too early to toast Syfy’s remarkable 2009.
Powered by the game-changing July 7 brand evolution, Syfy is soaring toward year’s end on the wings of the channel’s most-watched five month period ever in total viewers and Adults 18-49 (July-November).
During this period, Syfy rose to the #4 cable entertainment network in Adults 25-54 (762,000) and #6 in Adults18-49 (673,000). Audience gains were fueled by a diverse, imagination-driven programming schedule led by freshman sensation Warehouse 13, Eureka, Ghost Hunters and Destination Truth – all hitting series highs in 2009 – along with the Friday one-two punch of Stargate Universe and Sanctuary.
Since the brand evolution, Syfy has had its best July-November performance among Adults 18-34 (averaging 268,000 viewers), compared to previous July-November time periods. This has also generated new viewers (vs. 3Q ’08) with total viewers +12%; Adults 18-34 + 19%; Adults 18-49 +13%, and Adults 25-54 +11%.
Syfy has also outdelivered its upscale viewers by +13% among Adults18-49 with $75K+ income and +21% among Adults 18-49s with $100K+ income
Year-to-date, Syfy has improved its upscale deliveries by +9% among Adults 18-49 with $75K+ income and +21% among Adults 18-49s with $100K+ income, in addition to garnering its best year ever in Women 18-34 and Women 18-49.
Syfy is also on pace for the best Fourth Quarter in its 17-year history among total viewers, Adults 18-34, Adults 18-49, and key women’s demos.
Said Dave Howe, President, Syfy: “On every conceivable level, this has been a terrific year for the Syfy brand. From extraordinary programming and inventive marketing to innovative digital initiatives, we’ve managed the exceptional feat of successfully broadening our reach while remaining true to our core viewer base. None of this could’ve been achieved without our viewers, to whom I give greatest thanks with the promise that Syfy will imagine even greater in 2010.”
2009 Syfy Programming Highlights
- The most successful series in Syfy history, Warehouse 13 averaged a 2.8 HH rating, 1.62 million Adults 18-49, 2.03 million Adults 25-54 and 3.9 million total viewers. This is the highest-rated and most-watched season ever for a Syfy original series in Adults 25-54 and total viewers.
- Warehouse 13 finished second among all freshman series on basic cable in 2009, behind only USA’s Royal Pains and ahead of such first-year shows as TNT’s Leverage and Lifetime’s Drop Dead Diva.
- The second half of Eureka’s season three delivered a 2.3 HH rating, 540,000 Adults 18-34, 1.38 million Adults 18-49, 1.7 million Adults 25-54 and 3.15 million total viewers.
- This marks the first time Eureka has averaged over three million total viewers for a season and is also the program's best performance ever in Adults 18-34 and
- Season five of Ghost Hunters averaged a 2.1 HH Rating, 3.05 million total viewers, 859,000 Adults 18-34, 1.88 Million Adults 18-49 and 1.96 million Adults 25-54, its best season in the key demos and the best season ever for a Syfy original series in Adults 18-49.
- Compared to season four, this represented increases of +8% in HH rating, +9% in total viewers, +14% in Adults 18-34, +9% in Adults 18-49 and +10% in Adults 25-54.
- Destination Truth’s season three averaged a 1.6 HH Rating, 2.2 million total viewers, 659,000 Adults 18-34, 1.3 Million Adults 18-49 and 1.38 million Adults 25-54, far and way its best season ever in the key demos
- In the 8 episodes with full Live + 7 DVR viewing data Stargate Universe’s first year has averaged 2.64 million total viewers, 1.66 million Adults 25-54, 1.47 million Adults 18-49 and 617,000 Adults 18-34, along with a 1.9 HH rating.
- Compared to the 2008-09 Stargate Atlantis season 5, SGU jumped 55% in Adults 18-34, 36% in Adults 18-49, 31% in Adults 25-54 and 26% in total viewers.
- Sanctuary Live+7 DVR viewing data, season to-date, is averaging a 1.6 HH rating, 2.16 million total viewers, 1.3 million Adults 25-54 and 1.0 million Adults18-49.
- The fall season averaged a 1.0 HH rating, 379,000 Adults 18-34, 817,000 Adults 18-49, 812,000 Adults 25-54 and 1.47 million total viewers.
- Compared to the Fall 2008 season, Scare Tactics was up +19% in Adults 18-34, +37% in Adults 18-49, +31% in Adults 25-54 and +34% in total viewers.
- Through November, 2009 is on pace to be Syfy.com’s best year ever in all key metrics for the second straight year – averaging 3.6 million uniques (+10% vs ‘08), 5.8 million visits (+15%), 33.8 million page views (+16), 5.4 million video streams (+40%), 16 minutes per visit (+34%) and 26 minutes per unique (+40)
- The Game Center is on pace to have its best year ever in all key metrics – averaging 7.3 million page views, 105K uniques, 246K visits, 10 minutes per visit, 29 page views per visit and 71 page views per unique
- Syfy Rewind is on pace to have its best year ever in all key metrics – averaging 3.1 million streams, 313K uniques, 10 streams per unique, 54 minutes per visit, and 94 minutes per unique
- Destination Truth is on pace to have its best year ever in all key metrics – averaging 370K page views, 50K uniques, and 198K video streams
- SciFi Wire is on pace to have its best year ever in all key metrics – averaging 2.9 million page views and 694K uniques
- DVICE is on pace to have its best year ever in all key metrics – averaging 2.3 million page views and 800K uniques
Syfy is a media destination for imagination-based entertainment. With year round acclaimed original series, events, blockbuster movies, classic science fiction and fantasy programming, a dynamic Web site (www.Syfy.com), and a portfolio of adjacent business (Syfy Ventures), Syfy is a passport to limitless possibilities. Originally launched in 1992 as SCI FI Channel, and currently in 95 million homes, Syfy is a network of NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies. (Syfy. Imaginegreater.)