via press release:
CMT CELEBRATES MOST-WATCHED YEAR, SETS PACE FOR EVEN BIGGER 2010
NASHVILLE – December 18, 2009 – CMT shattered ratings records in 2009, delivering its most-watched year ever with growth in virtually every daypart and demo. The year of milestone achievements follows an aggressive strategy to launch new original series, big music stunts and strategic acquisitions, resulting in increases among P18-49 and total viewers in both primetime and total day.* 2009 is on pace to become CMT’s ninth consecutive year of primetime growth among P18-49, and fourth quarter will mark the network’s fifth consecutive quarter of growth across total day.
Breakout hits on CMT this year include the series THE SINGING BEE and WORLD’S STRICTEST PARENTS, while the network continues to deliver such fan-favorites as the CMT MUSIC AWARDS, CMT CROSSROADS and INVITATION ONLY. Branded programming blocks included the SUMMER OF MUSIC and BIG NEW MUSIC WEEKEND, which leveraged CMT’s multi-platform promotional capabilities and catapulted music video hours to their highest growth ever, up +16% versus last year among P18-49.
Setting the pace for an even bigger 2010, CMT will launch new episodes of THE SINGING BEE and CMT CRIBS in January, along with its adventure-themed programming block in April featuring the series GATOR 911 and DANGER COAST. Also in 2010, CMT will debut new episodes of CMT CROSSROADS: JIMMY BUFFETT AND ZAC BROWN BAND, CMT INVITATION ONLY and WORLD’S STRICTEST PARENTS.
CMT ratings highlights for 2009 include:
- Fourth quarter is on pace to become the network’s most-watched quarter ever among P18-49 and total viewers.
- October was CMT’s most-watched month ever among both P18-49 and total viewers.
- The 2009 CMT MUSIC AWARDS June 16th premiere averaged 2.7 million viewers, was the highest-rated telecast of the year and ranked third in the history of the awards franchise.
- THE SINGING BEE averaged 1.5 million viewers and became the channel’s highest-rated series debut of all time when it premiered June 16th.
- Following its April debut, WORLD’S STRICTEST PARENTS premiere average was +11% above quarterly prime P18-49 ratings, while CMT CRIBS premiere average was +26% above quarterly prime P18-49 ratings..
- CMT’s biggest video event ever, BIG NEW MUSIC WEEKEND, featured nine super-star premieres and increased music hours +9% among P18-49 over the prior four-week average.
- Strips in fourth quarter – which include acquired series’ ARE YOU SMARTER THAN A 5th GRADER? and EXTREME HOME MAKEOVER – have averaged P18-49 ratings +32% over the same period last year.
CMT, a unit of Viacom’s MTV Networks (NYSE: VIA and VIA.B), is the leading television and digital authority on country music and entertainment, reaching more than 88 million homes in the U.S. CMT and its website, CMT.com, offer an unparalleled mix of music, news, live concerts and series and is the top resource for country music on demand. The network’s digital platforms include the 24-hour music channel, CMT Pure Country, CMT Mobile and CMT VOD.