via press release:
New Original Series Help Lead truTV to Biggest Year Ever in Ratings
truTV scored its best year ever in 2009, driven by a slate of new series that includedwith Jesse Ventura, , All Worked Up and It Only Hurts When I Laugh and returning series like , and Rehab: . truTV’s performance in 2009 tops all previous years, including when the network was known as Court TV.
“truTV’s unique brand of ‘actuality’ programming has become a tremendous hit with viewers, especially our targeted young adult and young male demos,” said Marc Juris, executive vice president and general manager, truTV/In Session. “We are thrilled that truTV’s branding has continued to resonate so well in just its second year. We look forward to continuing our record-breaking success in 2010 with several returning shows, along with new series like NFL Full Contact.”
truTV Ratings Highlights for 2009-to-date:
truTV is delivering its most-watched year ever among adults 18-34 (235,000); adults 18-49 (521,000); adults 25-54 (534,000); men 18-34 (121,000); men 18-49 (286,000); and men 25-54 (298,000).
- For 2009, truTV ranks among ad-supported cable’s Top 10 networks in total day delivery of adults 25-54 (376,000) and men 25-54 (198,000).
- truTV has been very successful in attracting a younger audience, with a three-year drop in primetime median age (46) since last year and significant primetime growth among adults 18-34, men 18-34 and women 18-34, all up 30%. truTV’s growth among men 18-34 is the highest among all ad-supported cable networks.
- truTV’s primetime is also displaying solid growth among adults 18-49 (+12%), adults 25-54 (+5%), men 18-49 (+18%) and men 25-54 (+11%).
- truTV’s composition of key adult demos and male viewers reached new heights in 2009. Adults 18-34 are 21% of the network’s primetime audience this year, up from 17% in 2008. Adults 18-49 make up 48% of the primetime audience, up from 44% in 2008. Male viewers make up 54% of the audience, up from 51% in 2008.
- truTV has increased primetime delivery of men 18-49 each year for the past 11 years (1999–2009) and is delivering nearly eight times more men 18-49 now than when the streak began.
- In the third quarter of this year, truTV reached more than 9 million unduplicated adults 18-49, its highest reach ever in that demo. truTV’s fourth-quarter reach is nearly as high, with 8.7 million unduplicated adults 18-49.
- was truTV’s breakout hit of 2009. Premieres in the third quarter ranked as cable’s #1 entertainment program in the Monday 10-11 p.m. time period among young adult and young male demos. The show’s most recent season premiere (Nov. 9) became the most-watched program episode ever for truTV in delivery of viewers (2,212,000) and households (1,614,000).
- with Jesse Ventura premiered Dec. 2 with 1,635,000 viewers, truTV’s biggest audience ever for a new series launch. Over its first three weeks, the show delivered 1,507,000 viewers and 750,000 adults 18-49, up 60% and 63%, respectively, when compared to the same time period a year ago.
- Rehab: returned for a new season Oct. 1 and ranked among cable’s Top 5 entertainment programs for the Tuesday 10-11 p.m. time period in delivery of men 18-49 (509,000). The show garnered superb growth when compared to its prior season, with adults 18-34 up 58%, adults 18-49 up 48%, adults 25-54 up 48%, men 18-34 up 45%, men 18-49 up 47% and men 25-54 up 38%. Its median age of 39 was six years below the network’s overall prime average and three years younger than its prior season.
- launched its second season on Aug. 19 and was very successful in attracting a younger demo. The program displayed strong growth compared to its first season, with adults 18-34 up 31% and men 18-34 up 27%. As a result, yielded a median age of 41, three years younger than its first season.
- , which launched Nov. 11, has averaged 1,243,000 viewers; 737,000 adults 18-49; and 475,000 Men 18-49. The program ranks among cable’s Top 5 entertainment programs in its time period (Tuesdays at 10 p.m.) in delivery of men 18-49 (490,000) and men 25-54 (506,000).
- All Worked Up premiered Oct. 19. Its six premieres averaged 1,293,000 viewers, and the show ranked among cable’s Top 5 entertainment programs for its time period (Mondays at 9 and 9:30 p.m.) among adults 18-49 (688,000) and men 18-49 (382,000). truTV recently announced it has ordered additional episodes of the series.
- It Only Hurts When I Laugh made its bow Oct. 22 and averaged 1,250,000 viewers; 649,000 adults 18-49; and 371,000 men 18-49. truTV has ordered additional episodes.
truTV is television’s destination for real-life stories told from an exciting and dramatic first-person perspective. Currently seen in 91 million U.S. households, the 18-year-old network is enjoying its best deliveries ever in key demographics. truTV features high-stakes, action-packed originals that give viewers access to places and situations they can’t normally experience. truTV’s primetime fan favorites include the original series, , The Smoking Gun Presents… and Forensic Files. During the daytime, the channel features expert trial coverage under the name In Session.
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company, creates and programs branded news, entertainment, animation and young adult media environments on television and other platforms for consumers around the world.