via press release:
FOX CLAIMS 4th QUARTER VICTORY FOR FIRST TIME IN NETWORK’S HISTORY
Bests CBS by +6% In Adult Demo To Rank No. 1, Gains +14% Year Over Year
Marking a first in the network’s history, FOX has won the Fall season among Adults 18-49. Averaging a 3.3/9, FOX outperformed its nearest competitors by +6% in the adult demo, +35% among Adults 18-34 and +50% among Teens. In addition to dominating the quarter by placing first during seven of the season’s 14 weeks – the most Fall weekly wins ever for the network – FOX is the only major broadcast network to post a year-over-year gain in the key Adults 18-49 audience this Fall:
Major Broadcast Network Year-Over-Year Fall Primetime Averages (9/21-12/27/09, Most Current):
NBC: - 7%
Source: The Nielsen Company, NTI, 4Q09 vs. 4Q08. Primetime. Most Current.
FOX also significantly enhanced its performance across the week during the fourth quarter, growing its Fall average on five nights – more than twice as many nights as any other broadcast network. Thanks to successful pairings such as HOUSE and on Mondays and with on Thursdays, along with using to platform new comedy , FOX boosted its performance this Fall by +69% on Mondays, +38% on Wednesdays, +52% on Thursdays, +11% on Saturdays and +13% on Sundays.
Additional FOX Fall 2009 Highlights:
- FOX brought two new primetime hits to audiences this Fall:
- ranks as the season’s No. 1 new half-hour series among Adults 18-49 and the No. 1 new program among Adults 18-34, Teens, Men 18-34, Male Teens, and Persons 12-34.
- is the season’s No. 1 new hour among Adults 18-34 and Teens, while ranking as the No. 1 new show among Women 18-49 and Women 18-34. Additionally, ranks as the No. 1 show overall among Female Teens.
- In addition, has broadcast prime’s highest concentration of Adults 18-49 with a household income of $100K+ and has one of the most educated audiences (4+ years of college) in broadcast prime.
- Even with fewer hours of programming per week than other major networks, FOX had 2 shows in Top 10 among Adults 18-49 (HOUSE and ), 5 shows in the Top 10 among Adults 18-34 (HOUSE, , THE , and ), and 6 shows in the Top 10 among Teens ( , , THE , , and HOUSE) this Fall.
- Based on the weeks for which complete DVR data is available, FOX grew among Live viewing (+8%), Live + Same Day (+11%) and Live + 7 Day (+17%) streams -- the only network to show such growth in the Fall.
- FOX dominated among commercial (C3) ratings as well during fourth quarter. FOX’s C3 average excluding sports is up +6% versus the comparable weeks last year, while the other major networks are down (CBS: -8%; ABC: - 6%, NBC: -14%). In addition, based on C3, FOX has 4 shows among the Top 10 (HOUSE, , THE and THE ) – more than any other network.
- While growing its audience this Fall, FOX also saw the median age of its viewers drop to 42 (down from 43 at this time last year), six years younger than the network with the next youngest audience. Year over year, ABC and CBS each aged one year in the Fall (to 51 and 54, respectively), while NBC increased three years (to 48).
ABOUT FOX BROADCASTING COMPANY
Fox Broadcasting Company (FOX) is a unit of News Corporation and the leading broadcast television network among Adults 18-49. FOX finished the 2008-2009 season at No. 1 for the fifth consecutive year – a feat that hasn’t been achieved since the mid-1990s – while continuing to dominate all network competition in the more targeted Adults 18-34 and Teen demographics. This season, FOX ranked No. 1 in the November broadcast television sweep, winning by the largest margin of victory achieved by any network in the November sweep in five years. FOX airs 15 hours of primetime programming a week as well as late-night entertainment programming, major sports and Sunday morning news.