TruTV, TNT, TBS ratings notes for week ending 1/3
Coming off its best year ever, truTV has begun 2010 in record-setting fashion, delivering its best week ever in primetime delivery of adults 18-49 (675,000); men 18-34 (159,000); and men 18-49 (368,000). truTV also ranked among ad-supported cable’s Top 10 networks in primetime for the week with those three demos.
- Compared to same week in primetime a year ago, truTV was up 10% among total viewers, 23% among adults 18-34, 16% among adults 18-49, 23% among men 18-34 and 12% among men 18-49.
- The week was led by strong performances from various series and specials that ranked among cable’s Top 5 entertainment programs in their time slots among key adult and male demos, including Operation Repo (Monday, Dec. 28, 10 p.m.); the network’s latest Disorder in the Court special (Monday, Dec. 28, 10 p.m.); Most Daring (Wednesday, Dec. 30, 8 p.m.); Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura (Wednesday, Dec. 30, 10 p.m.); and The Smoking Gun Presents: World’s Dumbest… (Thursday, Dec. 31, 10 p.m.).
- truTV is already continuing its record-setting success this week, with Monday, Jan. 4, scoring the network’s biggest night ever in delivery of adults 18-49 (939,000) and men 18-49 (521,000). The night was led by the 10 p.m. episode of Operation Repo, which delivered the network’s biggest audience ever, with 2,286,000 viewers and 1,301,000 adults 18-49.
TNT’s new hit series Men of a Certain Age continues to perform extremely well, with the Monday, Dec. 28, episode delivering 3,123,000 viewers; 2,345,000 households; 1,186,000 adults 18-49; and 1,526,000 adults 25-54.
- The series also enjoyed a great performance this week. The Monday, Jan. 4, episode garnered 3,096,000 viewers; 2,365,000 households; 1,290,000 adults 18-49; and 1,693,000 adults 25-54. It ranked as ad-supported cable’s top entertainment program for the time period among viewers, households and adults 25-54.
- Men of a Certain Age has earned outstanding growth in DVR viewing, with the Dec. 7 premiere of the series growing its total audience by 36% in a comparison of Live + 7 to Live viewing.
- The Dec. 7 premiere, which holds position as ad-supported cable’s top new series launch of 2009 among households and adults 25-54, also boosted its delivery significantly in DVR viewing among those two categories. Households grew by 30%, and adults 25-54 grew by 43% when comparing Live + 7 to Live viewing. Meanwhile, the premiere episode also grew its delivery of adults 18-49 by 40% over Live viewing.
- For the first two episodes combined, Live + 7 vs. Live viewing of Men of a Certain Age delivered 34% growth among total viewers, 30% among households, 40% among adults 18-49 and 41% among adults 25-54.
The Closer also earned outstanding growth for its first two December episodes in Live + 7 viewing, with extraordinary 70% growth among adults 18-49, 65% among adults 25-54 and 45% among total viewers in a comparison of Live to Live + 7 deliveries. Especially noteworthy is the show’s Live + 7 delivery of adults 18-34, which nearly doubled Live deliveries, growing them by 97%.
The NBA on TNT continues to deliver strong ratings for the 2009-10 regular season, averaging a 1.1 national household rating, up 10% over the first 20 games of the 2008-09 NBA season (1.0 national household rating). In addition, total viewers are up 11% (1,723,000 vs. 1,551,000), and households are up 12% (1,313,000 vs. 1,175,000).
- The network’s NBA coverage has also seen significant increases in key demos, including:
- Adults 18-34: +16% (558,000 in 2009 vs. 483,000 in 2008)
- Adults 18-49: +7% (950,000 vs. 891,000)
- Adults 25-54: +7% (857,000 vs. 798,000)
- Men 18-34: +17% (412,000 vs. 351,000)
- Men 18-49: +11% (678,000 vs. 613,000)
- Men 25-54: +13% (612,000 vs. 540,000)
TNT’s weekend telecasts of Sir Peter Jackson’s Oscar®-winning Lord of the Rings adaptations delivered ad-supported cable’s top movie telecasts for the week among adults 18-49 and adults 25-54.
- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers was the top movie among adults 18-49 (1,376,000), followed by The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (1,363,000).
- Among adults 25-54, the two films swapped places, with The Return of the King garnering 1,481,000 and The Two Towers delivering 1,412,000.
The Wednesday, Dec. 30, 10:30 p.m. episode Tyler Perry’s Meet the Browns scored as ad-supported cable’s top sitcom for the first week of the new year, with 3,050,000 viewers; 810,000 adults 18-34; and 1,667,000 adults 18-49. In addition, the 10 p.m. episode ranked second among adults 18-49, with 1,391,000.
TBS claimed the top movie presentation for the week among adults 18-34, with the racing comedy Talladega Nights delivery 727,000 in that key demo.