via press release:
ABC Grows in Adults 18-49 for the 6th Consecutive Week and Leads
Monday Night Among Key Women Demos for the 4th Week in a Row
“The Bachelor” Tops NBC’s Original Dramas from 8-10pm and
Beats Fox’s “24” At 9pm in Total Viewers and Adults 18-49
“The Bachelor” Sees Increases for the 3rd Week Running,
Posting Season Highs in Total Viewers and Young Adults
At 10pm, ABC’s “Castle” Hits Series Highs in Key Adult and Men Demos
Monday Night (8:00-11:00 p.m.)
Marking its 6th straight week of Monday Adult 18-49 audience growth with a season-high number (3.6/9), ABC took second place on the night to Fox with originals of “House” and “24.” ABC won the night among Women 18-34 (4.9/13) and Women 18-49 (5.3/13), taking the top spot for the 4th week in a row among key Women demos.
- For the 2nd week in a row, ABC increased its overall audience from the year-ago night, gaining +1.7 million viewers (11.1 million vs. 9.4 million on 1/26/09).
“The Bachelor: On the Wings of Love” (8:00-10:00 p.m.)
From 8:00-10:00 p.m., ABC’s “The Bachelor” earned second place in viewers and young adults to Fox’s original dramas (“House”/”24”), beating NBC’s original dramas (“Chuck”/”Heroes”) by 5.8 million viewers (11.4 million vs. 5.6 million) and by 77% in Adults 18-49 (3.9/10 vs. 2.2/6). In fact as it gained audience from its first to second hour, ABC’s “The Bachelor” defeated Fox’s high-profile drama “24” in head-to-head competition from 9:00-10:00 p.m. by 1.3 million viewers (12.0 million vs. 10.7 million) and by 30% in Adults 18-49 (4.3/10 vs. 3.3/8).
- “The Bachelor” won its 2-hour time period and stood as Monday's No. 1 TV program among Women 18-34 (5.7/15) for the 4th consecutive telecast.
- “The Bachelor” notched another season-high, marking its 3rd consecutive week of growth in both Total Viewers and Adults 18-49.
“Castle” (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
Hitting a series high and building its Adult 18-49 audience for its 3rd straight original telecast, ABC’s “Castle” won the 10 o’clock hour in Total Viewers (10.5 million) and Adults 18-49 (3.1/8).
- “Castle” improved ABC’s performance in the hour over the same night last year by 3.5 viewers (10.5 million vs. 7.0 million) and by 7% in Adults 18-49 (3.1/8 vs. 2.9/7 - an original “True Beauty” on 1/26/09).
- “Castle” achieved series-high ratings in young Adults (AD18-34/AD18-49) and key Men (M18-34/M18-49).
A note about increasing DVR penetration and year-to-year rating comparisons: Year-to-year rating comparisons based on the Live + Same Day data stream are distorted by the level of DVR penetration in the Nielsen sample, which has jumped up to 34% currently, from 29% at the same point in 2009. More viewers are watching shows on their own timetables, which may not be reflected in the overnight next day numbers. The only truly valid year-to-year comparison would be one based on the Live + 7 Day metric, once those stats are released by Nielsen.
Source: Nielsen Media Research (Fast Affiliate, Live + Same Day Ratings), 1/25/10.