via press release:
Disney XD Celebrates 1st Anniversary with Record Viewing Levels
Begins Second Year by Setting Another Ratings Record for a Series Premiere
February 17, 2010 - Disney XD, the boy-focused, girl inclusive entertainment brand for kids age 6-14, with a 24-hour, ad-supported basic cable network as its centerpiece, marked its first anniversary as the growth leader in Total Day among all cable networks serving its targeted demographics, and has increased its core viewing audience of Kids 6-14 by 41 percent and built its viewership among Tweens 9-14 by 59 percent.
In its inaugural year, Disney XD delivered at record setting levels in both Prime and Total Day in Total Viewers and key kid demos, powered by the recent premiere of "I'm In the Band" (January 18, 2010), the channel's No. 1 original series launch at the time of its premiere (including its 10+ years branded Toon Disney), “Phineas and Ferb,” “The Suite Life on Deck” and “Zeke and Luther.”
Disney XD continued the momentum into its second year by premiering the animated comedy "Kick Buttowski – Suburban Daredevil" to all-time ratings highs among Kids 6-14, Kids 6-11 and across core boy demos on Saturday, February 13.
Disney XD is from the same winning team that has delivered Disney Channel to the No. 1 rank in primetime among Kids 6-11 and Tweens 9-14 for the past seven and nine years, respectively, and the No. 1 or No. 2 spot in Total Viewers among all cable channels for the past four years.
Paul DeBenedittis, Senior Vice President, Programming, Scheduling, Multiplatform, Acquisitions, Disney Channels Worldwide, said” "We launched Disney XD around the world with the benefit of the Disney brand credibility and a unique creative point of view that speaks to kids 6-14, especially boys, who told us they wanted empowering stories that depict accomplishment, heroism and teamwork. We aimed high with a mix of programming that meets our viewers' needs, and now we put the pedal to the metal to further build this exciting multi-platform brand."
Year One Milestones in Total Day and Prime
In Total Day, Disney XD delivered its largest audience ever during its first year on air across all key demos including Total Viewers (261,000), Kids 6-14 (121,000), Boys 6-14 (77,000), Kids 6-11 (97,000), Boys 6-11 (61,000), Tweens 9-14 (73,000) and Boys 9-14 (47,000).
- Impressively, Disney XD was the growth leader among all kid-targeting cable networks during its first year on air in Total Day in Kids 6-14 (+41% - 121,000 vs. 86,000), Boys 6-14 (+38% - 77,000 vs. 56,000), Kids 6-11 (+37% - 97,000 vs. 71,000), Boys 6-11 (+33% - 61,000 vs. 46,000), Tweens 9-14 (+59% - 73,000 vs. 46,000) and Boys 9-14 (+62% - 47,000 vs. 29,000).
- In Total Viewers, Disney XD is on a current 9-year growth streak based on the measurement period (includes prior Toon Disney years), progressively increasing its audience each year since data became available in 2000.
In Prime, Disney XD also recorded its largest audience for the time span in Total Viewers (309,000) and across target measures Kids 6-14 (145,000), Boys 6-14 (95,000), Kids 6-11 (115,000), Tweens 9-14 (87,000) and Boys 9-14 (58,000).
- Disney XD was the growth leader of all kid-targeted cable networks in Prime in Total Viewers (+16% - 309,000 vs. 266,000), Kids 6-14 (+54% - 145,000 vs. 94,000), Boys 6-14 (+40% - 95,000 vs. 68,000), Kids 6-11 (+44% - 115,000 vs. 80,000), Boys 6-11 (+28% - 74,000 vs. 58,000), Tweens 9-14 (+93% - 87,000 vs. 45,000) and Boys 9-14 (+87% - 58,000 vs. 31,000).
Chronological Programming Event Highlights
Throughout its first year, Disney XD launched one hit original series after another, leading to new records for the network in its core audiences, the latest this past Saturday’s debut of “"Kick Buttowski – Suburban Daredevil."
- Kicking off the launch of Disney XD on February 13, 2009, original series, “Aaron Stone” (7:00 – 7:30 p.m.) ranked as the net’s No. 1 series debut on record (includes Toon Disney) in Kids 6-11 and Boys 6-11 (tie).
- On June 15, 2009, building on the successful launch of “Aaron Stone,” “Zeke and Luther” (8:30 – 9:00 p.m.) set records for a series launch at the time, becoming the net’s No. 1 series premiere on record in prime, and No. 1 half-hour series debut on the network overall among Kids 6-14, Boys 6-14, Tweens 9-14 and Boys 9-14. In addition, “Zeke and Luther” propelled Disney XD to all-time highs in the time period in Kids 6-11 and across all target boy demos.
- On December 6, 2009, the premiere of “Phineas and Ferb Christmas Vacation” (8:00 – 8:45 p.m.) became Disney’s XD’s No. 1 telecast on record (includes Toon Disney) in Total Viewers (2.88 million) and across all target kid and boy 6-14, 6-11 and 9-14 demos.
- On January 18, 2010, original series “I’m in the Band” (7:00 – 7:30 p.m.) launched as Disney’s XD’s No. 1 series premiere in the net’s history (includes Toon Disney) in Total Viewers (863,000) and across the net’s core kid and boy demos: Kids 6-14 (528,000), Boys 6-14 (325,000), Kids 6-11 (358,000), Boys 6-11 (241,000), Tweens 9-14 (375,000) and Boys 9-14 (231,000).
- On February 13, 2010, Disney XD broke more records, as newest original series “Kick Buttowski – Suburban Daredevil” became the network’s No. 1 original series premiere ever in Kids 6-14 (551,000), Boys 6-14 (427,000), Kids 6-11 (497,000), Boys 6-11 (386,000) and Boys 9-14 (264,000).
- Impressively, a second episode of “Kick Buttowski” at 9:30 a.m. out-delivered its debut in Total Viewers (972,000), Kids 6-14 (553,000), Kids 6-11 (506,000) and Tweens 9-14 (346,000).
Disney XD is a basic cable channel and multi-platform brand showcasing a compelling mix of live-action and animated programming for Kids age 6-14, hyper-targeting boys and their quest for discovery, accomplishment, sports, adventure and humor. Disney XD branded content spans television, online, mobile and VOD platforms. The programming includes series, movies and short-form, as well
as sports-themed programming developed with ESPN. In the U.S., Disney XD is seen on a 24-hour, advertiser supported network that reaches over 75 million households via its basic cable affiliates. Disney XD recently launched in the UK, France, Spain, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Poland, Greece, Turkey, Latin America and Japan.
Source: NMR, final national U.S. ratings, most current for Prime, Total Day and P&F; Live + Same Day for series premieres. 1st Year: 2/13/09-2/11/10 + 2/13/10.