As Robert noted yesterday, NBC's daily Winter Olympics press release contained all sorts of wacky numbers from a survey sponsored by NBC.
THE OLYMPICS IS A HUGE CULTURAL EVENT
· 46% of Olympic viewers changed their typical routine to watch the Olympics.
· 34% delayed doing laundry or other household chores - including paying bills - in order to watch the Olympics.
· 59% said they didn’t watch some of their “regular shows” in order to watch the Olympics
· 35% of viewers cried or became teary-eyed while watching (25% among men)
· 66% of viewers cheered aloud while watching the Olympics
· 63% stayed up longer than usual to watch, resulting in 42% being “more tired than normal.”
· 42% of viewers said the Olympic sport they would most like to try is bobsled
(Source: Research Results)
On an admittedly slow Friday in TV numbers land, I thought we might have fun proposing our own (fake!) Winter Olympics cultural event statistics.
- 2% of Red Sox fans hated the Yankees at least a little bit less during the Olympics
- 37% of Toyota owners worried less about their brakes during the Olympics
- 24% of viewers forgot to feed their dog during the 2 weeks of the Olympics
Go for it.