Q1 Roundup From Turner for truTV, TBS, TNT, CNN, HLN, Cartoon Network and Adult Swim
Lots of good nuggets below. I apologize for the formatting, definitely our issue, not Turner’s.
Q1 2010 Television Landscape
- Despite increasing competition from other media, television continues to enjoy growth. Broadcast nets have lost more than an hour in viewing since Q1 2006, despite boasting a better Olympics in 2010 than 2006.
Average Hours of Viewing Per-Person, Per Week
Q1 2006 Q1 2009 Q1 2010
Total Viewers 33.9 35.8 36.6
Ad-Supported Cable 15.9 17.3 17.6
4 Broadcast Nets 10.9 9.2 9.6
2006: 12/26/05-3/6/06; 2009: 12/29/08-3/8/09; 2010: 12/28/09-3/7/10
- The 2010 Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver posted ratings gains versus the 2006 games in Torino, but were the 2nd lowest rated Winter Games in history.
NBC Prime Time Olympic Delivery
Vancouver 2010 24,844 8,765
Torino 2006 20,192 7,830
Salt Lake City 2002 31,539 13,851
Late Night – Return of Leno
- Even after the well publicized premiere of Jay Leno’s return to The Tonight Show, and the Letterman/Leno race, the winner of the hour is Adult Swim.
Since Leno’s return A18-34 M18-34
Adult Swim M-F 11:30p-12:30a 853 463
Tonight Show 651 311
Late Show with David Letterman 466 208
Q1 2010 Top 10 Ad-Supported Cable Networks among Total Viewers
1. USA 3,133,000
2. Fox News 2,331,000
3. TNT 2,157,000
4. ESPN 1,933,000
5. Nick at Nite 1,819,000
6. TBS 1,721,000
7. A&E 1,661,000
8. ABC Family 1,510,000
9. History 1,504,000
10. Cartoon Network 1,318,000
Q1 2010 Top 10 Ad-Supported Cable Networks among Total Viewers
1. Nickelodeon 2,328,000
2. Nick at Nite 1,668,000
3. USA 1,495,000
4. TNT 1,353,000
5. Fox News 1,311,000
6. Adult Swim 1,163,000
7. Cartoon Network 1,113,000
8. ESPN 942,000
9. TBS 936,000
10. A&E 930,000
2010 Ad-Supported Cable’s Top 10 Returning Original Series (Premiere Episodes) among Total Viewers
1. Burn Notice (USA) 6,354,000
2. Pawn Star$ (History) 4,976,000
3. Psych (USA) 4,413,000
4. Leverage (TNT) 4,377,000
5. Keeping Up with the Kardashians (E! Entertainment) 4,351,000
6. Project Runway (Lifetime) 3,801,000
7. South Park (Comedy Central) 3,736,000
8. Secret Life of the American Teenager (ABC Family) 3,667,000
9. 16 & Pregnant (MTV) 2,848,000
10. Ax Men (History) 2,637,000
2010 Ad-Supported Cable’s Top 10 New Original Series (Premiere Episodes) among Total Viewers
1. Life (Discovery) 6,009,000
2. White Collar (USA) 4,925,000
3. Justified (FX) 4,158,000
4. Jersey Shore (MTV) 3,827,000
5. American Pickers (History) 3,503,000
6. Men of a Certain Age (TNT) 3,119,000
7. Teen Mom (MTV) 2,973,000
8. Worst Cooks in America (Food) 2,596,000
9. Ugly Americans (Comedy Central) 2,104,000
10. Steven Seagal: Lawman (A&E) 1,993,000
Turner Broadcasting Ratings Success for Q1 2010
- TNT, TBS and truTV rank as three of ad-supported cable’s Top 10 networks for the quarter in primetime delivery of adults 18-49.
- Adult Swim ranks as the leading ad-supported cable network for the quarter in total day with adults 18-34.
- TNT is enjoying solid growth in total day for the quarter, with viewers up 8% and households up 11% when compared to Q1 2009.
- TNT enjoyed tremendous success with original series in Q1 2010, with Men of a Certain Age ranking among ad-supported cable’s Top 10 new original series, while Leverage ranked among the Top 5 returning series.
- In its first highly successful season, TNT’s Men of a Certain Age averaged 4.2 million viewers, 1.8 million adults 18-49 and 2.2 million adults 25-54 for its first season. Demonstrating its strong fan loyalty, Men of a Certain Age has delivered extraordinary growth in time-shifted viewing. In a comparison of Live to Live + 7 viewing, the show grew its delivery of total viewers by 49%, adults 18-49 by 66% and adults 25-54 by 60%.
- Leverage averaged 4.5 million viewers for its entire second season, up 13% over the first season. It also delivered 1.8 million adults 18-49 (up 2%) and 2.2 million adults 25-54 (up 2%). Leverage’s overall time-shifted viewing lift for the season was 58% among total viewers, 74% among adults 18-49 and 67% among adults 25-54, when comparing Live + 7 to Live viewing.
- The 2009-10 NBA regular-season coverage is experiencing its best numbers in 15 years and continues to experience growth, averaging a 1.2 national household rating, up 9% over the first 45 games of the 2008-09 NBA season (1.1 national household rating). In addition, total viewers are up 3% (1,791,000 vs. 1,735,000), while households are up 4% (1,362,000 vs. 1,309,000).
- TBS continues to enjoy tremendous success from its comedy lineup, led by Tyler Perry’s Meet the Browns, ad-supported cable’s #1 sitcom for the quarter among total viewers (2.3 million) and adults 18-49 (1.2 million), and The Office, the top sitcom among adults 18-34 (583,000).
- Tyler Perry’s Meet the Browns is the #1 scripted series on all of television in delivery of African-Americans 18-49 for the quarter.
- TBS’s hit series Lopez Tonight continues to boast the most diverse young-adult audience of all the late-night talkers, with 18% of the audience made up of Hispanic adults 18-49, far outpacing all other late-night talkers, including Wanda Sykes (5%), Tonight Show with Jay Leno (4%), The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (4%) and The Colbert Report (4%). Meanwhile, 14% of the Lopez Tonight audience is made up of African-American adults 18-49, ranking first ahead of Wanda Sykes (12%), Jimmy Kimmel Live (11%), The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (6%) and Jimmy Fallon (6%).
- truTV continues to build on its incredible string of successes, delivering the network’s most-watched quarter ever among adults 18-34, adults 18-49, men 18-34 and men 18-49.
- truTV’s success this quarter includes the network’s biggest month, biggest week, biggest night and biggest single telecast.
- truTV ranks among ad-supported cable’s Top 10 networks in delivery of adults 18-49 (608,000) and men 18-49 (332,000).
- Operation Repo, truTV’s breakout hit, dominates the competition in its time period. This quarter, it scored truTV’s most watched telecast of all time.
- truTV’s other big performers for the quarter include the original series Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura and It Only Hurts When I Laugh. The Smoking Gun Presents: World’s Dumbest… has recently enjoyed a surge, with two episodes ranking as cable’s #1 entertainment program for their time period.
- Adult Swim ranks #1 among all ad-supported basic cable for total day delivery of young adults 18-34 and men 18-34.
- Compared to its outstanding performance in Q1 ‘09, Adult Swim also saw a healthy +14% delivery growth among adults 18-34 (494,000) and a +10% lift among men 18-34 (285,000).
- Since the highly publicized return of Leno to late night, Adult Swim has consistently beaten both Letterman and Leno with adults and men 18-34. Adult Swim beats the top late night talk shows head to head among adults 18-34 and men 18-34.
- Across Q1 ‘10, Family Guy on Adult Swim ranked as the #1 comedy on ad-supported cable among young adults 18-34.
- Among the network’s programming highlights, premieres of Aqua Teen Hunger Force (Feb 7th – March 21st, Sundays, 12a) saw increases with adults 18-34 (+44%) compared to the same time period last year.
- New episodes of Tim & Eric Awesome Show: Great Job! also earned notable increases. Among adults 18-34 delivery (526,000), the program was up +21% and with men 18-34 (290,000), up +27% compared to the same time period last year.
- The huge success of Robot Unicorn Attack on AdultSwim.com has led to 10.2 million game plays since launching in February – over half of the total AS.com game plays in that time period – and contributing heavily to the year-over-year game play growth of +46% (SOURCE: Omniture SiteCatalyst). The game’s popularity has also contributed to AdultSwim.com’s +45% growth among uniques over prior year (SOURCE: Nielsen Online, Feb ’10 vs. Feb ’09, US H&W).
- Dude What Would Happen returned (Feb 24th –March 21st) as the #1 show in its timeslot (Wednesday, 8 p.m.) on all television – broadcast and cable – among boys 6-11.
- Kids 2-11 average ratings (2.4) and delivery (1,006,000), advancing by 26% and 29% respectively.
- Destroy Build Destroy returned to Cartoon Network (Feb 24th –March 21st ) and has been the #1 show in its timeslot (Wednesday, 8:30 p.m.) on all television – broadcast and cable – among boys 6-11.
- Kids 6-11 average ratings (2.9) improved by 71% and delivery (713,000) by 72%.
- Boys 6-11 average ratings (4.6) advanced by 77% and delivery (576,000) by 76%.
- Original animated comedy series, Chowder (Thursday nights), scored double-digit gains over its performance last year.
- Average kids 2-11 ratings (2.4) increased by 20% and delivery (981,000) by 19%.
- Boys 2-11 ratings (3.1) grew by 15% and delivery (652,000) by 15%.
- Among kids 6-11, average ratings (2.8) improved by 17% and delivery (689,000) by 19%.
CNN/HLN TV and Online
- CNN continues to reach more viewers than any other cable news net; even with MSNBC & CNBC’s Q1 coverage of the Winter Olympics.
- CNN remains on top of MSNBC in total day among both total viewers and adults 25-54, nearly doubling MSNBC in head-to-head, non-opinion programming from 9a-5p in both demos.
- HLN’s Morning Express with Robin Meade ranked second among the cable morning news shows in Q1’10, delivering its best quarter ever with 187k among adults 25-54.
- HLN’s Nancy Grace beat MSNBC’s Countdown w/Keith Olbermann at 8p among adults 25-54 in Q1’10.
- Coming off her launch late last year, Joy Behar’s HLN audience continues to grow, up 13% from last quarter among total viewers.
- Cable news continues to top Broadcast news, accounting for 61% of all television news viewing in Q1’10.
- CNN Digital Network is the #1 current events and global news property across all key metrics for Q1 ‘10, including unique audience, total minutes, total video streams and mobile unique audience. (SOURCE: Nielsen Online NetView Jan-Feb ’10, Nielsen VideoCensus Jan-Feb ’10, Nielsen Mobile Media View Internet Jan ’10)
- On Feb. 27, the day of the earthquake in Chile and Hawaii tsunami warnings, CNN.com had 9.9 million unique visitors, a 62% increase over the prior four Saturdays average. (SOURCE: Omniture SiteCatalyst)