Our Renew / Cancel Index predicts potential renewal or cancellation for scripted broadcast primetime shows for the 2010-11 season (results through March 28, 2010):
- Likely To Be Canceled By May, 2010; Officially Canceled
- Some Danger Of Being Canceled By May, 2010
- Likely to Be Renewed For The 2010-11 Season
- Renewed For The 2010-11 Season
|Program||Renew/ Cancel Index|
|Til Death (S), (F)||0.20|
|Dollhouse (F), (P)||0.23|
|Til Death (Sunday)||0.26|
|Sons Of Tucson||0.54|
I give up trying to figure out how to adjust the Fox overall season average ratings for sports and. Folks will just have to refrain from comparing Fox's list to the other networks' lists. The order of the shows is far more important than the Index values in Fox's case, and the "magic" 0.90 Index for renewal will not be appropriate.
ratings continue to drift lower, and its odds for renewal are getting longer by the week. Its 2.28 adults 18-49 ratings average on Wednesday look increasingly likely to get it canceled unless there's something mysterious going on behind the scenes. Note that its Wednesday average contains only new episodes, so it's not comparable to shows with many repeats.
Sons Of Tucson, increased to a 2.0last Sunday. Considering how well has done in a similar timeslot, Fox has to be thinking it can do better with a different show next season.
Lie To Me is off Fox's schedule until June 7, so no more ratings data for it before renewal or cancellation time (in May). I think it could go either way. A lot depends on whether Fox puts a three hour/week reality show (like SYTYCD or something else) into its fall schedule. A 3 hour reality block on the schedule next fall would almost certainly spell doom for .
Dollhouse and 'Til Death are officially canceled, and 24 is officially in its last season. Brothers seems to be canceled as well. (updated) canceled in practice, but Fox is silent. 'Past Life was canceled before it even appeared in the Index!
I’ve added a new category, Renewed For The 2010-11 Season, for shows who’s renewal has already been announced for the next season. It may take a while to get all the past announcements noted, let me know what I have missed, yet be patient.
This is a breakdown of Fox scripted shows and their renewal and cancellation prospects. Here are links to the other networks:
The Renew/Cancel Index is a show's Season To Date adults 18-49 rating divided by its network's Season to Date average 18-49 rating. If a show's season to date 18-49 ratings average equalled its network's 18-49 average, the show would have an Index of 1.00. Without special factors, scripted shows that were more than 10% below their network's average are typically canceled by the end of the broadcast primetime season.
Factors that could cause a show to be renewed with well below average index:
- (F) -Fridays: Shows airing on Fridays have been renewed with significantly lower than average Indexes.
- (S) - Syndication: Shows nearing syndication (66-88 episodes), often have economic factors that trump ratings leading to renewal.
- (T) - Third Party: Shows that have a portion of their cost underwritten by a 3rd party can be renewed with substantially lower ratings.
- (P) - Produced by the network's production company - For shows on the bubble, being produced by the network's corporate production company can be a survival advantage. For real losers, it's unlikely to help.
Nielsen TV Ratings Data: ©2010 The Nielsen Company. All Rights Reserved. All ratings used are Live+Same Day viewing.