via press release:
DISNEY, ABC AND ESPN TO OFFER NEW APPLICATIONS
AND CONTENT FOR APPLE’S iPAD
New ABC Player App Enables Users to Watch Full Episodes of ABC Programming
Disney to Launch New Interactive Books Exclusively for the iPad
and a Custom Version of Disney.com Featuring Exclusive Video Content
ESPN ScoreCenter XL to Provide New Premium Features Exclusively for the iPad
BURBANK, Calif., April 1, 2010 – As part of its ongoing strategy to provide original creative content where and how consumers want it, Disney will offer applications from all of its businesses on the new Apple iPad.
The ABC Player app extends the reach of ABC.com’s full episode player onto the iPad. iPad users will have the ability to watch free, ad-supported episodes from approximately 20 popular ABC series through a wi-fi connection. The application will also allow iPad users to purchase downloads of episodes via the iTunes store. The ABC iPad app brings the full experience of ABC.com’s Emmy Award-winning full episode player to a touch-screen, handheld device for the first time. Additionally, the ABC.com site is now optimized for the iPad, complete with full-functionality for all its features, including short-form video.
Disney Publishing Worldwide has built two original “Toy Story” read-along apps for the iPad, both combining Disney stories and unique activities with cutting edge technology. Each “Toy Story” read-along is an immersive multimedia experience – the books feature video from the feature films, karaoke and voice record features, the voices of Tom Hanks and Tim Allen, songs from the movies, original games, and even an interactive coloring feature that lets kids finger-paint with up to 10 fingers on the screen. The “Toy Story” app is free and the “Toy Story 2” app is $8.99 and comes with a one month free subscription to disneydigitalbooks.com. In addition, new “Disney Princess,” “Phineas & Ferb,” “Winnie the Pooh” and “Toy Story 3” apps will go live on the iPad later this spring.
Disney Online has built a custom iPad version of its flagship website, Disney.com, which focuses on exclusive video content. iPad videos featured at launch include new scenes from highly-anticipated Disney films “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice” and “Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time,” full-episodes of popular Disney Channel and Disney XD series “Hannah Montana,” “Wizards of Waverly Place,” “Suite Life on Deck” and “Phineas & Ferb,” and a new Muppets music video, “Stand by Me.”
“The iPad provides a very compelling consumer experience, and we are pleased to have new forms of original, interactive content on this great device,” said Bob Iger, President and CEO, The Walt Disney Company.
In addition to the ABC player and “Toy Story” read-along apps, Disney, ABC and ESPN will launch the following applications:
- Fairies Fly on iPad — Fly with the Fairies and discover a world of adventure and fun like never before! Enhanced with visually stunning graphics and new art just for the iPad, this magical game captures the excitement of the changing seasons in a place called Pixie Hollow.
- JellyCar 2 on iPad — The sequel to one of last year’s top games, JellyCar 2 comes fully loaded with more than 30 levels, power-ups, new Two-Player Modes: Tether and Race. Jelly Car is the hit driving platform game developed by Walaber. The game is about driving a squishy car through squishy worlds to reach the exit.
- Phineas and Ferb Arcade on iPad — Inspired by Disney Channel and DXD’s #1 animated program for kids 6-11 comes Phineas and Ferb Arcade. Play with your favorite characters in three simple, silly minigames: win the surfing trophy in Cowabunga Candance, test your secret agent skills in Agent P’s Hideout, and build a mountain in S’no Problem!
- ESPN Pinball on iPad — ESPN Pinball offers a new twist on classic arcade gameplay. ESPN Pinball is packed with features including minigames, unique basketball sound effects and play-by-play voiceover by ESPN SportsCenter host Jay Harris.
- ESPN ScoreCenter XL –ESPN introduces ScoreCenter XL, the ultimate game companion experience for the iPad. The original, award-winning ESPN ScoreCenter app for iPhone and iPod touch devices — downloaded more than 5 million times since it first launched in June — has been optimized for the iPad’s interface and enhanced with new, premium features. These include live play-by-play, video highlights, game summaries and statistics, box scores and standings. In addition, ESPN ScoreCenter XL offers personalized news and video on “myTeams,” and the leading headlines and highlights of the day available through “Top Events.”
- FamilyFun Craft Finder on iPad — The Disney FamilyFun Craft Finder App provides instant access to FamilyFun’s library of great craft ideas for the whole family. The iPad version features includes more crafts and full-size pictures. Whether you’re looking to make a Carryall Castle or a Pipe Cleaner Penguins, you’ll find ideas for any occasion or season.
For more details and to see a demo of the ABC Player on the iPad, go to www.abc.com/ipad.
Please note: An image is available on www.abcmedianet.com
About The Walt Disney Company
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with five business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. Disney is a Dow 30 company and had annual revenues of about $36 billion in its most recent fiscal year.