MTV IS THE # 1 CABLE NETWORK FOR 12-34 YEAR OLDS
Network Closes First Quarter Delivering More Top Rated Series
Than Any Other Channel
NEW YORK, NY/SANTA MONICA, CA - (April 1, 2010) – As the first quarter of 2010 ended , MTV claimed the #1 spot for full-day, ad-supported cable networks among P12-34 according to Nielsen Media Research. Furthermore, MTV had 5 of the top 15 original cable series among both P12-34 and F12-34, more than any other network, including “Jersey Shore,” “Teen Mom,” “16 and Pregnant” (season 2), “America’s Best Dance Crew” (season 5) and “Real World: DC.” Among P12-24, MTV continues to be the #1 full-day, ad-supported cable network for 18 consecutive years. Additionally, MTV finished 1Q10 with double digit growth, both year to year (11%) and versus 4Q09 (26%).
“What’s most exciting is that this quarter’s success is not just about one series, but rather a combination of new hits like ‘Teen Mom,’ ‘Jersey Shore,’ ‘The Buried Life,’ ‘My Life as Liz,’ and ‘16 and Pregnant’ and returning franchises like ‘Real World’ and ‘America’s Best Dance Crew,’” said Tony DiSanto, President of MTV Programming. “Our goal is creative diversity and we’re working on overdrive to deliver that to our viewers. I’m looking forward to the launch of our scripted programming next quarter along with live programming, comedy and animation hits and, of course the final season of ‘The Hills.’”?
First quarter also brought the global media industry together on-air and online as MTV Networks, in partnership with George Clooney and Tenth Planet Productions, produced “Hope for Haiti Now,” which drew a cumulative audience of more than 83 million viewers and a gross average audience of more than 24 million viewers in the United States, according to Nielsen Media Research. “Hope for Haiti Now” was the most widely distributed televised fundraising event in history across platforms, and has raised more than $66 million to date for Haiti relief and recovery efforts.
- #1 “Jersey Shore”
- #4 “Teen Mom”
- #5 “16 and Pregnant”
- #13 “America’s Best Dance Crew”
- #14 “Real World:DC”
- #2 “16 and Pregnant”
- #3 “Teen Mom”
- #4 “Jersey Shore”
- #9 “America’s Best Dance Crew”
- #13 “Real World: DC”
“Jersey Shore” - Break out hit of the quarter
- #1 original cable series among P12-34.
- The finale of “Jersey Shore” (4.8) broke series records and delivered MTV’s highest rated original series telecast in almost two years.
- Over the course of the season, “Jersey Shore” (2.6) posted strong growth every week.
- “Jersey Shore’s” finale audience of over 4.8 million viewers was more than triple that of its debut (an increase of more than 3.4 million total viewers).
- “Jersey Shore” ranked #1 in its time period versus all cable competition among P12-34.
“Teen Mom” - MTV’s strongest series launch since August 2008
- #4 original cable series among P12-34.
- “Teen Mom” averaged a 2.3 P12-34 rating, a +44% increase versus “16 and Pregnant” (1.6).
- “Teen Mom” averaged over 2.4 million total viewers per episode.
- “Teen Mom’s” series debut was MTV’s strongest series launch in over a year (since “Exiled” in August 08).
- “Teen Mom” ranked #1 in its time period versus all television competition during its series run among F12-34 and #1 versus all cable competition among P12-34.
“16 and Pregnant” - Strong growth in season 2
- #5 original cable series among P12-34.
- “16 and Pregnant” is averaging a 2.4 P12-34 rating, up 50% versus its season 1 performance (1.6).
- “16 and Pregnant” delivers an average of over 2.5 million total viewers per episode.
- “16 and Pregnant” wins its time period versus all television competition among F12-34 and versus all cable competition among P12-34.
“America’s Best Dance Crew” (Season 5) - Strong on Thursday
- #13 original cable series among P12-34.
- “America’s Best Dance Crew” is averaging a 1.7 P12-34 rating and over 1.7 million total viewers.
- “America's Best Dance Crew” ranks #1 in its time period versus all television competition among P18-24 and #1 versus all cable competition among P12-34.
“Real World: DC” - Wednesday’s #1 Original Primetime Cable Series
- Now in its 23rd season, “Real World” is averaging a 1.5 P12-34 rating and a weekly audience of over 1.5 million viewers.
- “Real World” ranks #1 in its time period versus all television competition among P18-24 and #1 versus all cable competition among P12-34.
Source: NMR. L+SD Cvg Rating/000s. P12-34 unless noted. 12/28/09-3/28/10, or as dated. Series rank = ranked on 000s, 2+ telecasts, premiere time periods only. JS Week to week growth excludes NYE. Time period rank = 000s. Full Day = Program 75% or more of total weekly hours. Network rank = Cvg Rtg. Reach = 1Minute qualifier.
MTV is the dynamic, vibrant experiment at the intersection of music, creativity and youth culture. For over 28 years, MTV has evolved, challenged the norm, and detonated boundaries -- giving each new generation a creative outlet and voice that entertains, informs and unites on every platform and screen. On-air, MTV is the number one rated full-day ad-supported cable network for P12-24. Online, MTV.com averaged 24.6 million monthly unique visitors during the first quarter of 2010 -- up +9% from Q4/2009 and up +13% year-over-year. Average video streams for the first quarter of 2010 increased +19% from the Q4/2009 and is up +18% over the same time period last year. And MTV’s successful sibling networks MTV2 and mtvU each deliver unprecedented customized content, super-serving young males, music fans, and college students like no one else. MTV is part of MTV Networks, a unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), one of the world’s leading creators of programming and content across all media platforms.