Our Renew / Cancel Index predicts potential renewal or cancellation for scripted broadcast primetime shows for the 2010-11 season (includes results through April 4, 2010):
- Likely To Be Canceled By May, 2010, Officially Canceled
- Some Danger Of Being Canceled By May, 2010
- Likely to Be Renewed For The 2010-11 Season
- Renewed For The 2010-11 Season
|Program||Renew/ Cancel Index|
|Better Off Ted||0.42|
|Ugly Betty (Fri) (S), (F), (P)||0.46|
|The Deep End||0.53|
|Ugly Betty (Wed) (S), (P)||0.55|
|Cougar Town (P)||0.99|
|Private Practice (P)||1.07|
|Brothers & Sisters (S), (P)||1.12|
|Grey's Anatomy (P)||1.56|
|Desperate Housewives (P)||1.58|
|Lost (final season)||1.65|
V's 2.8 adults 18-49 rating in its spring return last week was neither as good as ABC might have hoped nor as bad as they might have feared. Holding that 2.8 rating would mean certain renewal. The question at ABC is whether the show is on a slippery ratings slope to cancellation, or whether it can hold at or near a 2.8. We'll soon find out. Note that V's ratings average contains no repeats, unlike most other ABC scripted shows.
FlashForward fell again to just a 1.5 rating last Thursday. Fans may be searching their excuse bingo cards frantically for an "It was almost Easter!" box to no avail, the show's going to be canceled. Note that its ratings average includes only a single repeat, most other ABC shows have many, and its recent ratings are far below its average rating.
The ABC boneyard:
Ugly Betty, Hank and Eastwick are already officially canceled, and the forgotten’s cancellation is a certainty. Lost is in its final season.
I've added a new category, Renewed For The 2010-11 Season, for shows who's renewal has already been announced for the next season. It may take a while to get all the past announcements noted, let me know what I have missed, yet be patient.
This is a breakdown of ABC scripted shows and their renewal and cancellation prospects. Here are links to the other networks:
The Renew/Cancel Index is a show's Season To Date adults 18-49 rating divided by its network's Season to Date average 18-49 rating. If a show's season to date 18-49 ratings average equalled its network's 18-49 average, the show would have an Index of 1.00. Without special factors, scripted shows that were more than 10% below their network's average are typically canceled by the end of the broadcast primetime season.
Factors that could cause a show to be renewed with a well below average Index:
- (F) -Fridays: Shows airing on Fridays have been renewed with significantly lower than average Indexes.
- (S) - Syndication: Shows nearing syndication (66-88 episodes), often have economic factors that trump ratings leading to renewal.
- (T) - Third Party: Shows that have a portion of their cost underwritten by a 3rd party can be renewed with substantially lower ratings.
- (P) - Produced by the network's production company - For shows on the bubble, being produced by the network's corporate production company can be a survival advantage. For real losers, it's unlikely to help.
Nielsen TV Ratings Data: ©2010 The Nielsen Company. All Rights Reserved. All ratings used are Live+Same Day viewing.