Business Week’s got a good run down on the current situation for the return of Conan O’Brien to television laying out some of the possible avenues and the ups and downs for them.
“Getting Conan is a once-in-a-generation opportunity to get a well-known talent with a following,” says Bill Carroll, director of programming for Katz Television Group, which advises TV stations on licensing shows. “But the timing couldn’t be worse. Every scenario for him has more risks than upside.”
Here’s some of the latest information.
Late Night On Fox
- Some larger Fox affiliates are already airing The Office in the late night timeslot and have signed deals for 30 Rock which make a Conan show problematic.
- Fox’s syndication arm, which sells reruns (like The Simpsons) would tend to lose out on such deals if a Conan show displaced its shows.
- Conan could go on MyNetworkTV affiliates in markets that can’t make the Fox affiliate work.
- Possible deal, ala Bill Maher/HBO, being discussed.
Earlier timeslot syndication
- Talks have happened with CBS syndication (Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy), and Debmar-Mercury (Family Feud) over a possible 7pm sydicated slot, but Sony’s sydication arm has already passed on the idea.