Our Renew / Cancel Index predicts potential renewal or cancellation for scripted broadcast primetime shows for the 2010-11 season (results through April 18, 2010):
- Likely To Be Canceled By May, 2010; Officially Canceled
- Some Danger Of Being Canceled By May, 2010
- Likely to Be Renewed For The 2010-11 Season
- Renewed For The 2010-11 Season
|Program||Renew/ Cancel Index|
|Til Death (S), (F)||0.20|
|Dollhouse (F), (P)||0.23|
|Til Death (Sunday)||0.26|
|Sons Of Tucson||0.54|
I give up trying to figure out how to adjust the Fox overall season average ratings for sports and . Folks will just have to refrain from comparing Fox's list to the other networks' lists. The order of the shows is far more important than the Index values in Fox's case, and the "magic" 0.90 Index for renewal will not be appropriate.
fell to a 1.9 adults 18-49 for its finale last week. At that ratings level, I don't think it has a realistic chance at renewal any longer barring a sudden miracle decision from Fox. Perhaps fans should have Al Michaels on speed dial.
Fans will know the future of the Fox upfront presentation on May 17.& no later than
Note that's Wednesday average contains only new episodes, so it's not comparable to shows with many repeats.
Lie To Me is off Fox's schedule until June 7, so no more ratings data for it before renewal or cancellation time (potentially as late as May 17). I think it could go either way. A lot depends on whether Fox puts a three hour/week reality show (like SYTYCD or something else) into its fall schedule. A 3 hour reality block on the schedule next fall would almost certainly spell doom for .
Dollhouse, Brothers, Sons Of Tucson and 'Til Death are all officially canceled, and 24 is officially in its last season. 'Past Life was canceled before it even appeared in the Index!
House is effectively renewed, Hugh Laurie is under contract for another season, there just hasn't been an official announcement by Fox.
I’ve added a new category, Renewed For The 2010-11 Season, for shows who’s renewal has already been announced for the next season. It may take a while to get all the past announcements noted, let me know what I have missed, yet be patient.
This is a breakdown of Fox scripted shows and their renewal and cancellation prospects. Here are links to the other networks:
The Renew/Cancel Index is a show's Season To Date adults 18-49 rating divided by its network's Season to Date average 18-49 rating. If a show's season to date 18-49 ratings average equalled its network's 18-49 average, the show would have an Index of 1.00. Without special factors, scripted shows that were more than 10% below their network's average are typically canceled by the end of the broadcast primetime season.
Factors that could cause a show to be renewed with well below average index:
- (F) -Fridays: Shows airing on Fridays have been renewed with significantly lower than average Indexes.
- (S) - Syndication: Shows nearing syndication (66-88 episodes), often have economic factors that trump ratings leading to renewal.
- (T) - Third Party: Shows that have a portion of their cost underwritten by a 3rd party can be renewed with substantially lower ratings.
- (P) - Produced by the network's production company - For shows on the bubble, being produced by the network's corporate production company can be a survival advantage. For real losers, it's unlikely to help.
Nielsen TV Ratings Data: ©2010 The Nielsen Company. All Rights Reserved. All ratings used are Live+Same Day viewing.