Our Renew / Cancel Index predicts potential renewal or cancellation for scripted broadcast primetime shows for the 2010-11 season (includes results through May 2, 2010):
- Likely To Be Canceled By May, 2010; Officially Canceled
- Some Danger Of Being Canceled By May, 2010
- Likely to Be Renewed For The 2010-11 Season
- Renewed For The 2010-11 Season
|Program||Renew/ Cancel Index|
|Miami Medical (F)||0.44|
|Numb3rs (F), (P)||0.56|
|Three Rivers (P)||.55*|
|Accidentally On Purpose (Wed) (P)||0.58|
|Medium (F), (P)||0.58|
|Ghost Whisperer (F), (S)||0.61|
|New Adventures of Old Christine (S)||0.62|
|Cold Case (P)||0.71|
|The Good Wife (P)||0.81|
|Rules Of Engagement||1.03|
|How I Met Your Mother (S)||1.04|
|NCIS: Los Angeles (P)||1.07|
|Criminal Minds (P)||1.07|
|CSI: Miami (P)||1.11|
|Two And A Half Men||1.51|
|Big Bang Theory||1.59|
Relative new episode scripted show ratings since 12/28/09
|Miami Medical (F)||0.42|
|Medium (F), (P)||0.58|
|Ghost Whisperer (F), (S)||0.58|
|New Adventures of Old Christine (S)||0.60|
|Numb3rs (F), (P)||0.63|
|Cold Case (P)||0.76|
|Accidentally On Purpose (Wed) (P)||0.85|
|The Good Wife (P)||0.88|
|Rules of Engagement||0.98|
|NCIS: Los Angeles (P)||1.10|
|CSI: Miami (P)||1.14|
|How I Met Your Mother (S)||1.18|
|Criminal Minds (P)||1.18|
|Two And A Half Men||1.75|
|Big Bang Theory||1.82|
While CBS' renewal choices still look like a grab bag a few shows seem closer to the top than others. I like Gary Unmarried's chances better than Old Christine's, and Christine's better than Accidentally On Purpose's. Of course, any of them might survive only because CBS wants to keep beating its head against the wall of a ratings loser "second comedy block", if CBS changes its mind, they're all gone.
The picture is a bit clearer for CBS' Fall '09 Friday dramas. I think Numb3rs is at the bottom of the bag, and needs a miracle for renewal. And while I expect both Ghost Whisperer and Medium to return, I would not be shocked if one of those two was canceled.
Cold Case and Miami Medical aren't even in the bag. They'll be canceled.
* I have frozen the Index for Three Rivers at the point it was removed from the CBS schedule.
I’ve added a new category, Renewed For The 2010-11 Season, for shows who’s renewal has already been announced for the next season. It may take a while to get all the past announcements noted, let me know what I have missed, yet be patient.
This is a breakdown of CBS scripted shows and their renewal and cancellation prospects. Here are links to the other networks:
The Renew/Cancel Index is a show's Season To Date adults 18-49 rating divided by its network's Season to Date average 18-49 rating (in CBS's case I have removed the season effect of the week including the Super Bowl for the calculation). If a show's season to date 18-49 ratings average equalled its network's 18-49 average, the show would have an Index of 1.00. Without special factors, scripted shows that were more than 10% below their network's average are typically canceled by the end of the broadcast primetime season.
Factors that could cause a show to be renewed with well below average index:
- (F) -Fridays: Shows airing on Fridays have been renewed with significantly lower than average Indexes.
- (S) - Syndication: Shows nearing syndication (66-88 episodes), often have economic factors that trump ratings leading to renewal.
- (T) - Third Party: Shows that have a portion of their cost underwritten by a 3rd party can be renewed with substantially lower ratings.
- (P) - Produced by the network's production company - For shows on the bubble, being produced by the network's corporate production company can be a survival advantage. For real losers, it's unlikely to help.
Nielsen TV Ratings Data: ©2010 The Nielsen Company. All Rights Reserved. All ratings used are Live+Same Day viewing.