Our Renew / Cancel Index predicts potential renewal or cancellation for scripted broadcast primetime shows for the 2010-11 season (includes results through May 2, 2010):
- Likely To Be Canceled By May, 2010, Officially Canceled
- Some Danger Of Being Canceled By May, 2010
- Likely to Be Renewed For The 2010-11 Season
- Renewed For The 2010-11 Season
|Program||Renew/ Cancel Index|
|Better Off Ted||0.42|
|Ugly Betty (Fri) (S), (F), (P)||0.46|
|The Deep End||0.53|
|Ugly Betty (Wed) (S), (P)||0.55|
|Cougar Town (P)||0.97|
|Private Practice (P)||1.02|
|Brothers & Sisters (S), (P)||1.07|
|Grey's Anatomy (P)||1.46|
|Desperate Housewives (P)||1.52|
|Lost (final season)||1.54|
Relative new episode scripted show ratings since 12/28/09.
|Better Off Ted||0.39|
|The Deep End||0.52|
|Ugly Betty (Wed) (S), (P)||0.54|
|Brothers & Sisters (S), (P)||0.95|
|Cougar Town (P)||1.02|
|Private Practice (P)||1.12|
|Desperate Housewives (P)||1.41|
|Grey's Anatomy (P)||1.49|
Compared to the rest of ABC's new scripted shows this spring, V 's ratings continued to be below average, but not drastically so (84%). Because of that, I think there's some chance it will be brought back next season.
The TV critics who've bemoaned Romantically Challenged can likely look forward to another season of moaning. Its ratings so far aren't those of a show that will be canceled. Retentionistas be damned.
Most of those same critics have moaned even more about Happy Town. In its case though, their moaning is likely to be short lived. Its ratings indicate a quick trip to cancellation-ville.
FlashForward's ratings continue to flash "cancel me". I'm sure ABC will oblige.
Note that for the top table, FlashForward's and V's ratings averages includes only a single repeat each, most other ABC shows have many, which distorts the comparisons somewhat.
The ABC boneyard:
Ugly Betty, Hank, the forgotten and Eastwick are already canceled. Lost is in its final season.
I've added a new category, Renewed For The 2010-11 Season, for shows who's renewal has already been announced for the next season. It may take a while to get all the past announcements noted, let me know what I have missed, yet be patient.
This is a breakdown of ABC scripted shows and their renewal and cancellation prospects. Here are links to the other networks:
The Renew/Cancel Index is a show's Season To Date adults 18-49 rating divided by its network's Season to Date average 18-49 rating. If a show's season to date 18-49 ratings average equalled its network's 18-49 average, the show would have an Index of 1.00. Without special factors, scripted shows that were more than 10% below their network's average are typically canceled by the end of the broadcast primetime season.
Factors that could cause a show to be renewed with a well below average Index:
- (F) -Fridays: Shows airing on Fridays have been renewed with significantly lower than average Indexes.
- (S) - Syndication: Shows nearing syndication (66-88 episodes), often have economic factors that trump ratings leading to renewal.
- (T) - Third Party: Shows that have a portion of their cost underwritten by a 3rd party can be renewed with substantially lower ratings.
- (P) - Produced by the network's production company - For shows on the bubble, being produced by the network's corporate production company can be a survival advantage. For real losers, it's unlikely to help.
Nielsen TV Ratings Data: ©2010 The Nielsen Company. All Rights Reserved. All ratings used are Live+Same Day viewing.