Here is a look at ABC's Fall 2010 Schedule vs. its Fall 2009 Schedule by the Numbers.
2010 (7 shows, 6.5 hours):(1 hour), (1 hour), Better Together (1/2 hour), The (1 hour), My Generation (1 hour), (1 hour), (1 hour)
2009 (8 shows, 6 hours):(1 hour), The Forgotten (1 hour), Hank (1/2 hour), (1/2 hour), (1/2 hour), (1/2 hour), Eastwick (1 hour), Flash Forward (1 hour)
2010 (10 hours):+ Results (3 hours), (1 hour), (1 hour), (3 hours), America's (1 hour), : (1 hour).
2009 (11 hours):+ Results (3 hours), (1 hour), (1 hour), (1 hour), (3 hours), America's (1 hour), : (1 hour).
- Strongest shows not used as freshman lead ins. I am surprised ABC isn't taking the opportunity to debut a freshman show behind Contrast that with Fox, which moved , and put a new drama after House. to 8pm to serve as lead in for new comedies , and a little surprised not doing it with 's . That stability on late Sunday and Thursday means new shows get fed to the wolves at 8pm Tuesday and Thursday.
- The premiering of new scripted shows on Friday continues to surprise me. As Robert noted, there will likely be the same amount of scripted programming on Friday as last Fall, but this season all the scripted shows are new, last season only Brothers was.
- Don't call it reality, it's "Alternative"! Interesting that ABC and NBC both referred to unscripted/reality shows as "Alternative" programming. I didn't think it was notable when it was just NBC, but two of them? It's a trend!
- V held until after finishes. While the stated "We wanted to run it straight through with no repeats" is logically consistent, so could many other reasons like "We only decided to renew it at the last second and our schedule was already mostly set", "We know its a ratings loser, and we don't want it killing our premiere period".
- Ruthlessness at mid-season. Just as I expect NBC to be ruthless at mid-season. ABC's number of shows waiting in the wings indicates poor performers will not be given a long leash.
|Day/Time||Fall 2009||Fall 2010|
|9-10p||Dancing With The Stars Results||Dancing With The Stars Results|
|8-9p||Flash Forward||My Generation|
|10-11p||Brothers & Sisters||Brothers & Sisters|
Shows in BOLD are/were new, shows in italics are unscripted, 2009 shows in strikethrough did not return.
The shows slated to premiere in mid-season or later are:, , , Happy Ending, V, .
It's not worth the time to compare mid-season schedules. Changes are almost certain between now and January.