This week, while the networks are in the midst of announcing their 2010-11 schedules, we’ll just be documenting what happened, but I will have wrap ups of the numbers and the successes/failures of the Renew / Cancel Index for this season in posts next week.
This week I thought I’d instead show my current thinking as to what next year’s Renew / Cancel posts would look like (leaving aside the number crunching for the moment).
For the look I had these objectives:
- More detailed status options – Three gradations between officially renewed and officially canceled just wasn’t enough.
- No more colors – I love looking at red/yellow/green as much as the next non-colorblind person, but color coding added production hassle, and frustrated some portion of the population that is colorblind.
- Less notation – The only thing that really seems to matter noting *during* the season is whether a show airs on Friday or not, the other factors like syndication, in house production and third party subsidy are really only factors for marginal shows at the end of the season.
Nothing’s set until next year (and maybe not even then), but, as always, feedback in the comments is welcome.
Without further ado, here is a prototype of the Renew / Cancel Index post of tomorrow!
Our Renew / Cancel Index predicts potential renewal or cancellation for scripted broadcast primetime shows for the 2011-12 season (includes results through XXX, 2010):
- :oops: – certain to be canceled by May, 2011
- :cry: :cry:- likely to be canceled by May, 2011
- :| :| :| – toss up between renewal or cancellation by May, 2011
- :) :) :) :) – likely to be renewed by May, 2011
- :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: – certain to be renewed by May, 2011
|Program||Status||Renew/ Cancel Index|
|That Show You Love||canceled||0.50|
|A Friday Show (F)||canceled||0.60|
|That Struggling Sitcom||:oops:||0.65|
|Past Its Prime Drama||:oops:||0.68|
|But Critics Love It||:cry: :cry:||0.70|
|Show With Crazy Fans||:cry: :cry:||0.80|
|Close, But Close Enough?||:| :| :|||0.85|
|Bubbletastic||:| :| :|||0.90|
|Average Gets Renewed||:) :) :) :)||1.00|
|Counting Unhatched Eggs||:) :) :) :)||1.10|
|Network Execs Love It||:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:||1.20|
|Got An Easy Timeslot||:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:||1.40|
|That Show You Hate||renewed||1.50|
This is where the text discussing changes, new information, and other weekly chit chat will go.
The Renew/Cancel Index is a measure of a show’s adults 18-49 ratings relative to its own network peers. It’s a show’s new episode Live+SD adults 18-49 average rating divided by the Live+SD new episode average of all the other new scripted show episodes on it’s own network. The network average ratings are not time weighted (hour long shows are not weighted twice what 30 minute shows are) Some text about past performance (yet to be calculated) here.
(F) -Fridays: Shows airing on Fridays were renewed with significantly lower than average Indexes.
What’s the History of the Index and How Did It Do In the Past? While the methods used have changed somewhat from past seasons check out how the index did in the the 2007-8 season, the 2008-9 season, and the 2009-10 season.
Nielsen TV Ratings Data: ©2010 The Nielsen Company. All Rights Reserved.