Note that the 16.4 million numbers for the MTV Movie Awards is the total number of viewers that watched a single minute of the show, not the average viewership we typically report on our site and you see in the TV media. The average, reported elsewhere, across all three networks (MTV, MTV2 and VH1) was 5.8 million viewers, down slightly from last year's 5.9 million.
via press release:
2010 MTV MOVIE AWARDS PREMIERE WATCHED BY 16.4 MILLION TOTAL VIEWERS UP 2% VS. 2009
"THE HARD TIMES OF RJ BERGER" IS MTV'S HIGHEST RATED SERIES LAUNCH SINCE 2008
2010 MTV MOVIE AWARDS
· On MTV, MTV2 and VH1, the 2010 MTV Movie Awards, hosted by Aziz Ansari, was watched by 16.4 million viewers, up 2% from 2009 and the largest Movie Award audience since at least 2003.
· Among female teens, the 2010 MTV Movie Awards averaged a 5.7 rating on MTV, +6% vs. last year and the award show's best rating in this demo since 2004.
· The 2010 MTV Movie Awards averaged a 4.1 P12-34 rating on MTV, making it the second highest rated Movie Awards since 2004.
Source: Nielsen Fast Nationals. Live+SD coverage ratings from 6/6/10. Watched = Reach, 1+minute qualifier.
· On Sunday 6/6, the MTV Movie Awards had nearly 1.6 million video streams on MTV.com making this year's event the highest streamed Movie Awards day in history!
· Engagement was high with the 'All-Access Live Stream' which generated 350K streams, easily outperforming the Movie Awards live stream from 2009 (295K streams), while Twilight exclusives and the Kristen Stewart/Dakota Fanning 'Best Kiss' nominee clip rounded out top streams.
"THE HARD TIMES OF RJ BERGER" - Series Premiere
MTV premiered its new original comedy series "The Hard Times of RJ Berger" on Sunday, June 6. The series will move to Monday nights at 10pm ET/PT beginning on June 14.
· The series debut of The Hard Times of R.J. Berger averaged a 2.6 P12-34 rating and over 2.6 million viewers.
· Hard Times is MTV's highest rated series launch among P12-34 since 2008.
Source: Nielsen Fast Nationals. Live+SD coverage ratings.
MTV'S TWITTER 2.0 VISUALIZATION TOOL
· MTV's Twitter 2.0 Visualization tool at MTV.com tracked 802,944 total tweets containing Movie Award related keywords, including names of categories, nominees, performers, presenters, and the official #MTVMovieAwards hashtag. In addition, the MTV Movie Awards and related topics were seven of the top 10 trending Twitter topics through most of the telecast, including #MTVMovieAwards holding the top spot.
Mark Burnett serves as Executive Producers for the 2010 MTV Movie Awards. Audrey Morrissey is Executive Producer. Lee Rolontz is Executive Producer for MTV, Garrett English is Executive In Charge and Jane Mun serves as Supervising Producer. For MTV, Wendy Plaut is the Celebrity Talent Executive and Amy Doyle and Joanna Bomberg serve as the Executives in Charge of Music and Talent.
Official sponsors of the 2010 MTV Movie Awards include Coca-Cola(R), Kia Motors, Nikon Corporation, Orbit(R) gum, Starbucks Coffee Company, Taco Bell(R) and T-Mobile USA. Orbit is a registered trademark of the Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company.
MTV is the dynamic, vibrant experiment at the intersection of music, creativity and youth culture. For over 28 years, MTV has evolved, challenged the norm, and detonated boundaries -- giving each new generation a creative outlet and voice that entertains, informs and unites on every platform and screen. On-air, MTV is the number one rated full-day ad-supported cable network for P12-24. Online, MTV.com averaged 24.6 million monthly unique visitors during the first quarter of 2010 -- up +9% from Q4/2009 and up +13% year-over-year. Average video streams for the first quarter of 2010 increased +19% from the Q4/2009 and is up +18% over the same time period last year. And MTV's successful sibling networks MTV2 and mtvU each deliver unprecedented customized content, super-serving young males, music fans, and college students like no one else. MTV is part of MTV Networks, a unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), one of the world's leading creators of programming and content across all media platforms.