via press release:
ABC is No. 1 for the 3rd Consecutive Monday in Adults 18-49, Topping CBS by 32%, Fox by 67% and NBC by 92%
ABC’s “The Bachelorette” Leads its Slot for the 4th Week in a Row in Viewers And Young Adults, Hitting a Summer High in Adults 18-49
At 10pm, “True Beauty” Beats NBC’s “Persons Unknown” by its Best-Yet Margins, Delivering Season Highs in Key Adult and All Key Women Demos
Monday Night (8:00-11:00 p.m.)
With “The Bachelorette” and “True Beauty,” ABC took first place on Monday night in both Total Viewers (7.3 million) and Adults 18-49 (2.5/8). In fact the Net ranked No. 1 in Adults 18-49 for its 3rd consecutive Monday, beating second-place CBS by 32% (1.9/6), third-place Fox by 67% (1.5/5) and fourth-place NBC by 92% (1.3/4). ABC ranked No. 1 in all 6 half-hours of the evening among Adults 18-49.
- Building its overall Monday audience year to year for the 4th straight week, ABC was up over the year-ago Monday (6/22/09) by 1.5 million viewers and 25% in Adults 18-49 (5.8 million and 2.0/6).
“The Bachelorette” (8:00-10:00 p.m.)
Once again leading its 2-hour time period, ABC’s “The Bachelorette” finished No. 1 for the 4th week in a row, dominating its nearest time-slot competition (CBS) by 1.3 million viewers (8.2 million vs. 6.9 million) and by 35% (2.7/9 vs. 2.0/6). The show gained viewers and young adults during each half-hour of its 2-hour broadcast.
- “The Bachelorette” stood as Monday’s No. 1 program in Adults 18-49 for the 2nd week in a row and registered as the night’s definitive No. 1 television show for the 4th week running across all key Women demographics (W18-34/W18-49/W25-54).
- “The Bachelorette” built its overall audience from the year-ago night for the 3rd week in a row, surging by double-digit percentages in Total Viewers (+21%) and Adults 18-49 (+17%). Hitting a summer high in Adults 18-49, the show posted its top since its season opener coming out of the “DWTS” finale, on the concluding Monday of the TV Season (5/24/10).
“True Beauty” (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
During the 10 o’clock hour, ABC’s “True Beauty” ran No. 1 against its network competition for the 3rd consecutive week in Adults 18-49. The ABC unscripted series beat out NBC’s original scripted series, “Persons Unknown,” by best-yet margins in both Total Viewers (+2.2 million - 5.4 million vs. 3.2 million) and Adults 18-49 (+82% - 2.0/6 vs. 1.1/3).
- “True Beauty” achieved season-highs with Adults 18-49, Adults 18-34 and across all key Women demographics (W18-34/W18-49/W25-54).
- “True Beauty” once again substantially improved its time period for ABC over the year-ago night with original programming, boosting the hour by 1.5 million viewers and by 43% in Adults 18-49 (3.9 million and 1.4/4 on 6/22/09 w/ “Here Come the Newlyweds”).
A note about increasing DVR penetration and year-to-year rating comparisons: Year-to-year rating comparisons based on the Live + Same Day data stream are distorted by the level of DVR penetration in the Nielsen sample, which has jumped up to 36% currently, from 31% at the same point in 2009. More viewers are watching shows on their own timetables, which may not be reflected in the overnight
next day numbers. The only truly valid year-to-year comparison would be one based on the Live + 7 Day metric, once those stats are released by Nielsen.
Source: Nielsen Media Research (Fast Affiliate Live + Same Day Ratings), 6/21/10.