via press release:
ABC is No. 1 for the 4th Monday in a Row in Adults 18-49, Hitting Summer Highs on the Night in Viewers and Young Adults Since July 2009
ABC’s “The Bachelorette” Leads its Slot for the 4th Week in a Row in Viewers And Young Adults, Hitting a Summer High in Adults 18-49
Excluding Season Finales, “The Bachelorette” Draws its Most-Watched Telecast
Since February 2004 and Top Adults 18-49 Performance Since February 2005
On Average Year to Year, “The Bachelorette” is Up
By 1.2 Million Viewers and by 13% in Adults 18-49
At 10pm, “True Beauty” is No. 1 Across All Key Women Demos
Monday Night (8:00-11:00 p.m.)
Driven by continued strong returns from both “The Bachelorette” and “True Beauty,” ABC once again earned first place on Monday in both Total Viewers (8.1 million) and Adults 18-49 (2.7/8), hitting summer highs on the night with its top summer performance since 7/27/09. In fact the Network ranked No. 1 in Adults 18-49 for its 4th straight Monday, beating second-place CBS by 50% (1.8/5), third-place Fox by 69% (1.6/5) and fourth-place NBC by 93% (1.4/4).
- Gaining overall audience year to year for the 5th week in a row, ABC built its Monday numbers over the same night last year (6/29/09) by 1.2 million viewers and 13% in Adults 18-49 (6.9 million and 2.4/7).
“The Bachelorette” (8:00-10:00 p.m.)
The time-period leader, ABC’s “The Bachelorette” finished No. 1 for the 5th week in a row, overpowering its nearest 8:00 – 10:00 p.m. competition (CBS) by 3.0 million viewers (9.7 million vs. 6.7 million) and by 60% (3.2/10 vs. 2.0/6). The veteran unscripted series gained overall audience during each half-hour of its 2-hour broadcast.
- “The Bachelorette” finished as Monday’s No. 1 television program in Adults 18-49 for the 3rd week in a row, and for the 5th week running was the night’s dominant No. 1 TV show across all key Women demographics (W18-34/W18-49/W25-54).
- “The Bachelorette” achieved season-highs in Total Viewers and Adults 18-49. In fact excluding season finales, the series drew its biggest audience since February 2004 (since 2/18/04 during Season 2) and its highest Adult 18-49 rating since February 2005 (since 2/21/05 during Season 3).
- On average, “The Bachelorette” is up over its performance at the same point last year by 1.2 million viewers (9.0 million vs. 7.8 million) and by 7% in Adults 18-49 (3.0/8 vs. 2.8/8).
“True Beauty” (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
ABC’s “True Beauty” ranked No. 1 in the 10 o’clock hour across all key Women demos (W18-34/W18-49/W25-54).
- On average, “True Beauty” is improving its time period year to year for ABC by 8% in Total Viewers (5.2 million vs. 4.8 million).
A note about increasing DVR penetration and year-to-year rating comparisons: Year-to-year rating comparisons based on the Live + Same Day data stream are distorted by the level of DVR penetration in the Nielsen sample, which has jumped up to 37% currently, from 32% at the same point in 2009. More viewers are watching shows on their own timetables, which may not be reflected in the overnight
next day numbers. The only truly valid year-to-year comparison would be one based on the Live + 7 Day metric, once those stats are released by Nielsen.
Source: Nielsen Media Research (Fast Affiliate Live + Same Day Ratings), 6/28/10.