USA Shatters Ratings Records In July With Largest Delivery Ever for a Cable Network
via press release:
USA SHATTERS RATINGS RECORDS IN JULY,
WITH LARGEST DELIVERY EVER FOR A CABLE NETWORK
COVERT AFFAIRS Garners Largest P18-49 Audience of any Series Launch (YTD)
and Grows in its Second Week among Total Viewers
BURN NOTICE and ROYAL PAINS are July’s Top Two Scripted Series on Cable
Among P25-54 & P18-49
NEW YORK, NEW YORK – July 27, 2010 – USA swept July 2010, enjoying first place in delivering P25-54 (1.30 million, +19% over #2 TNT), P18-49 (1.17 million, +27% over #2 TNT), P18-34 (511,000, +3% over #2 TBS), total viewers (3.13 million, +12% over #2 DSNY) and households (2.38 million, +21% over #2 DSNY). USA earned the month’s largest household coverage rating in basic cable prime (2.39, +0.40 over #2 DSNY) and was the only network to deliver over 1 million P18-49, half a million P18-34, 3 million total viewers or 2 million households in July’s cable prime. More households (2.38 million) were tuned to USA this July 2010 than had watched any cable network in any prior July.
USA continued to out-perform The CW with three times the number of total viewers (+204%) and twice as many P25-54 (+160%) and P18-49 (+121%) viewers while enjoying strong double-digit margins over the broadcaster in P18-34 (+83%). Cable’s top network outperformed CBS among M18-34 in July and registered victories over Broadcast in most primetime (M-Su 8P-11P) hours this month.
USA was home to fifteen of the top 40 P25-54 and 16 of the top 40 P18-49 basic cable prime entertainment telecasts in July 2010, about twice as many as any other network placed in this top tier for either demo, with episodes of the top original scripted series on cable, BURN NOTICE and ROYAL PAINS, the most exciting new series of the year, COVERT AFFAIRS and WWE MONDAY NIGHT RAW. USA hosted half of the month’s top ten basic cable prime scripted series across the board, placing five of ten for P25-54, P18-49, P18-34, total viewers and households. New episodes of WHITE COLLAR, PSYCH, LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT and IN PLAIN SIGHT also helped win the month, as did acquired hits NCIS and LAW & ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT.
- BURN NOTICE and ROYAL PAINS were the top two scripted series on cable this July among P25-54 (BN 2.86 million / RP 2.72 million) and P18-49 (2.50 million / 2.38 million). This month’s top two P25-54 scripted telecasts were from these series, as were the top five for P18-49. BURN NOTICE also delivered more M25-54 (1.44 million), M18-49 (1.26 million) and total males (2.95 million) than any scripted series on television this month, broadcast or cable. When the network aired BURN NOTICE Thursdays at 9P in July, USA was the #1 television network, broadcast or cable, among M18-49, M25-54, total males and M18-34, and came in second only to FOX among P18-49 and P18-34 (1.06 million). When the network aired ROYAL PAINS Thursdays at 10P in July, USA was the #1 network in all of television, broadcast or cable, in the hour among P18-49, P25-54 and P18-34 (1.03 million). CBS was the only network to deliver more total viewers or households than USA head to head against ROYAL PAINS in July.
- COVERT AFFAIRS enjoyed the largest P18-49 audience of any series launch this year to date (2.10 million) and was able to actually grow in its second week among total viewers (5.21 million), a rare feat. COVERT AFFAIRS was the third most watched scripted series in basic cable prime in July among P18-49 (2.08 million), behind only BURN NOTICE and ROYAL PAINS. USA’s newest hit placed in the top ten basic cable prime scripted series for every demo: P25-54 (2.24 million), P18-34 (837,000), total viewers (5.03 million) and households (3.56 million). When USA aired COVERT AFFAIRS Tuesdays at 10P in July, the network outperformed ABC and CBS among P18-49, P25-54 and P18-34 and outperformed ABC in total viewers and households.
- WHITE COLLAR returned in one of the most competitive timeslots of the summer but placed among the month’s top 10 scripted series among P25-54 (1.75 million), P18-49 (1.64 million), P18-34 (706,000), total viewers (4.13 million) and households (3.08 million) and outperformed ABC head-to-head among P18-49, total viewers and households and CBS in the timeslot among P18-34.
- IN PLAIN SIGHT wrapped up its third season this month, placing the series among the top 10 in the month’s scripted fare on basic cable prime in P25-54 (2.06 million), P18-49 (1.77 million), total viewers (5.17 million) and households (3.88 million).
- PSYCH was the top scripted series on Wednesdays in July among P18-34 (744,000). The veteran series was second only to IN PLAIN SIGHT in delivering total viewer (3.50 million) overall and among scripted series, IN PLAIN SIGHT was the only show on television to deliver more P18-49 (1.41 million) than PSYCH on Wednesdays in July.
- USA was home to the top acquired series on cable as NCIS and LAW & ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT ranked first and second, respectively, among P25-54 (NCIS 1.16 million / SVU 887,000), total viewers (3.30 million / 2.35 million) and households (2.55 million / 1.89 million). NCIS was also the most popular acquired series among P18-49 (948,000) with LAW & ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS placing third in this demo (864,000). Among P18-34 viewers, NCIS was the top acquired drama (411,000) followed by LAW & ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS at #2 (406,000) and House on USA at #3 (361,000). HOUSE ranked fifth among acquired dramas on cable in July for P25-54 (739,000) and fourth in P18-49 (696,000).
USA Network is the #1 network in all of basic cable and is seen in over 98.5 million U.S. homes. A division of NBC Universal, USA is the cable television leader in original series and home to the best in blockbuster theatrical films, acquired television series and entertainment events. The award-winning USA website is located at www.usanetwork.com. Characters Welcome.
USA Network is a program service of NBC Universal Cable a division of NBC Universal, one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience.