via press release:
TNT’s Blockbuster Hit Series Rizzoli & Isles and
Top Cable’s Summer Rankings
Rizzoli & Isles andEach Attract More than 8 Million Viewers, A New Milestone in Cable History
TNT’s mega-hits Rizzoli & Isles andhave set the summer ablaze as cable’s #1 and #2 series, while also marking the first time ever an ad-supported cable network has boasted two series averaging more than 8 million viewers each. The success of TNT’s originals lineup, which also includes Leverage, Memphis Beat, HawthoRNe and , has helped the network score audience growth over last summer.
“This summer, TNT was the perfect destination for original drama, from returning hits to new favorites,” said Michael Wright, executive vice president and head of programming for TNT, TBS and Turner Classic Movies (TCM). “We are thrilled with the performance of our lineup, especially the Monday combination ofand Rizzoli & Isles. As we prepare for the fall, we look forward to building on our success with more original programming, including the return of the critically acclaimed hit .”
TNT’s ratings highlights include the following:
- In its sixth season,shows no signs of slowing down. The series is averaging more than 8.4 million viewers in Live + 7 delivery (through Aug. 2) and 7.9 million viewers in blended delivery (through Aug. 16). The drama ranks as ad-supported cable’s #1 returning series of the summer. The Closer ranks a close second behind Rizzoli & Isles among all original series for the summer. The Closer is also on pace to score growth over its fifth season.
- Rizzoli & Isles burst out of the starting gate with ad-supported cable’s biggest series launch ever, with more than 9 million viewers. The drama immediately established itself as ad-supported cable’s #1 new series of the summer and #1 summer series overall, with 8.7 million viewers in Live + 7 delivery (through Aug. 2) and 8.1 million viewers in blended delivery (through Aug. 16).
- The Live + 7 deliveries for Rizzoli & Isles and The Closer mark the first time an ad-supported cable network has boasted two shows with more than 8 million viewers.
- Now in its third season, TNT’s Leverage performed extremely well in its new Sunday timeslot, averaging 4.2 million viewers. The show is on pace to score growth this summer among adults 18-49 when compared to its second season.
- Leverage enjoys a devoted following of passionate viewers who make a point of catching every episode. The fan base loyalty can be seen through the show’s outstanding performance in time-shifted viewing. Leverage more than doubles its delivery of adults 18-34 and increases delivery of adults 18-49 and adults 25-54 by more than 75% over Live viewing.
- Memphis Beat has become one of cable’s brightest new stars, with an average of 4.4 million viewers in its debut season. It ranks not only among ad-supported cable’s Top 10 new series of the summer but also as ad-supported cable’s #1 scripted series on Tuesdays in delivery of adults 25-54. It also ranks second on Tuesdays behind HawthoRNe among women 25-54.
- TNT’s HawthoRNe has garnered continued success in its second season, with an average of 3.5 million viewers. It ranks as ad-supported cable’s #1 scripted series on Tuesdays in delivery of women 25-54 and #2 behind Memphis Beat among adults 25-54.
- On the strength of its outstanding original programming, TNT has grown its overall audience 5% while also ranking as ad-supported cable’s #1 network of the summer among its target demo, adults 25-54.
TNT, one of cable’s top-rated networks, is television’s destination for drama. Seen in 99.6 million households, the network is home to such original series as The Closer, starring Kyra Sedgwick; Leverage, starring Timothy Hutton; and, starring Dylan McDermott; the upcoming Rizzoli & Isles, starring Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander; Memphis Beat, with Jason Lee; , with Ray Romano, Andre Braugher and Scott Bakula; and , from Emmy®-winning producer John Wells (ER). TNT also presents such powerful dramas as , , Las Vegas, Law & Order, : NY, Cold Case and Numb3rs; broadcast premiere movies; compelling primetime specials, such as the Screen Actors Guild Awards®; and championship sports coverage, including NASCAR and the NBA. The NCAA men’s basketball tournament will appear on TNT beginning in 2011. TNT is available in high-definition.
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company, creates and programs branded news, entertainment, animation and young adult media environments on television and other platforms for consumers around the world.