MTV's Video Music Awards on Sunday averaged 11.4 million viewers, that's the most since 2002's 11.9 million, and the most ever for a Sunday night telecast of the show. It was also the third most watched telecast in MTV history.
MTV's official press release is below the ratings chart.
MTV Video Music Awards Ratings 1994-2010:
|Household||Number of||*Cost Per :30|
|- The first nationally televised MTV Video Music Awards was in 1984, but MTV was not subscribing to Nielsen Media Research's|
|program ratings prior to 1994|
|Source: Galaxy Explorer, Nielsen Media Research|
|*Ad expenditure information should be sourced as Nielsen Monitor-Plus|
|Copyright 2010 The Nielsen Company|
MTV'S 2010 VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS SCORES BIGGEST AUDIENCE FOR ANY MTV TELECAST SINCE 2002
HOSTED BY CHELSEA HANDLER, VMAS DELIVERS A 10.0 P12-34 Rating
+33% OVER 2009 AND AVERAGES 11.4 MILLION TOTAL VIEWERS, + 27%
"2010 MTV Video Music Awards"
· The 2010 VMAs averaged a 10.0 P12-34and 11.40 million total viewers, marking the network's best deliveries for any MTV telecast since the 2002 VMAs (8/29/02).
· With P12-34, the 2010 VMAs are MTV's fifth highest rated telecast in the network's history. Averaging 7.9 million P12-34 viewers, the telecast ties as MTV's most watched in the demo ever.
· Among total viewers, the 2010 VMAs averaged an audience of 11.4 million, making it the third most watched telecast in MTV's history.
· Ratings for 2010 VMAs are up across the board from 2009, including 33% with the network's key P12-34 audience. This is the fourth consecutive year of ratings growth for the awards show.
· The 2010 VMAs is the #1 cable telecast of 2010, followed by MTV's "."
"Every year, MTV celebrates the music and creative genius of artists we have the privilege of working with all year long," said Van Toffler, President of the MTV Networks Music & Logo Group. "Last night's luminescent VMA setting provided the perfect backdrop to do just that and we're thrilled the audience resoundingly agreed."
· The post-VMA sneak peek of "" garnered a 4.6 P12-34 rating with 4.8 million total viewers, marking MTV's highest rated MTV series launch ever.
Source: Nielsen. 9/12/2010. Cvg Rating. Live+SD when available. MTV history: 9/27/1993-9/12/2010.
MTV is the dynamic, vibrant experiment at the intersection of music, creativity and youth culture. For over 28 years, MTV has evolved, challenged the norm, and detonated boundaries -- giving each new generation a creative outlet and voice that entertains, informs and unites on every platform and screen. On-air, MTV is the number one full day-ad supported network for P12-24. Online, MTV.com averaged 24.5 million monthly unique visitors during the second quarter of 2010 -- up +13% year-over-year. Average video streams for the second quarter of 2010 increased +8% from Q1/2010. And MTV's successful sibling networks MTV2 and mtvU each deliver unprecedented customized content, super-serving young males, music fans, and college students like no one else. MTV is part of MTV Networks, a unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), one of the world's leading creators of programming and content across all media platforms.