via press release:
Discovery Communications Marks Ratings Highs and Milestones in 3Q10
(New York, N.Y.) Led by numerous successes in 3Q10, Discovery Communications (DCI) portfolio of networks are up +12% in P25-54 primetime delivery vs.3Q09, while non-DCI cable and broadcast are down -2% and -1%, respectively.*
Individual network claims are referenced below.
All Primetime Data based on 3Q10 vs. 3Q09 and Among All Ad-Supported Cable Unless Otherwise Noted
- Best 3Q ever in M25-54 (426k).
- Most watched Shark Week in history among P2+, P/W18-49, averaging 2.1M P2+, a 10% increase vs. the prior highest rated Shark Week in 2008.
- #4 network in M18-49, and top ten in M25-54 (#5), P25-54 (#7), P18-49 (#7) and M18-34 (#8).
- Top 3 non-sports programs in all of cable in 3Q in P/M25-54 and P18-49: premieres of Deadliest Catch (#1), Deadliest Catch: Captain Phil Tribute (#2) and After the Catch (#3).
- Fueled by new series Dual Survival, Man, Woman, Wild and Beyond Survival with Les Stroud, the network posted delivery gains in all key demos, including P2+, +9% (1256k v 1157k); P25-54, +9% (685k v 629k); P18-34, +13% (319k v 282k); M25-54, +6% (426k v 402k) and M18-34, +7% (194k v 181k).
- 21 series averaging 1.1M P2+ or more, including (2.5M), (2.3M), (1.7M), (1.6M), (1.5M), (1.4M), Atlanta (1.3M), Strange Sex (1.2M) and (1.2M).
- Premiere of newest hit, (9/26) garnered 2.3M P2+, a 77% increase vs. the prior six week prime premiere average, and best series premiere since (5/25/09) in P/W18-49, P/W18-34 and W25-54.
- Top 5 network in W18-34 (#5), and top 10 in W25-54 (#9) and W18-49 (#10).
- Highest 3Q in 6 years in P2+ and P25-54.
- Up in key demos, including P2+, +10% (1.1M v 1M) and P25-54, +4% (527k v 506k).
- Best 3Q ever in P18-49.
- 11 straight quarters of year-over-year gains in P18-49, and 8 straight quarters among P/M/W 25-54.
- Up double-digits in all key demos: P25-54, +10% (261k v 237k); W25-54, +9% (128k v 117k); M25-54, +11% (133k v 120k) and P18-49, +12% (256k v 229k).
- Whale Wars season 3 outpaced season 2 by double-digits in all key demos, including P25-54 (+27%) and P18-49 (+29%), and the finale (8/27) ranks as the most watched regularly scheduled Animal Planet telecast ever in P25-54 (1.1M) and P18-49 (1.1M).
INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY (ID)
- Best quarter ever in HH.
- 7 consecutive quarters of year-over-year growth in HH, P2+ and P/W/M25-54.
- Fastest growing cable network in prime year-to-date in HH, P2+, P/W/M25-54 and P/W18-49.
- Ranked #38 in P25-54 and #37 in W25-54, both up 10 positions vs. 3Q09.
- Fueled by premieres of top series delivering more than 500k P2+, including On the Case with Paula Zahn (588k), Who the (Bleep) Did I Marry?(566k) and Very Bad Men (505k), ID once again posted solid double-digit gains in all demos, including HH, +60% (284k v 178k); P2+, +64% (347k v 212k); P25-54, +62% (172k v 106k); W25-54 , +64% (108k v 66k).
- Best quarter ever in HH, P2+ and P/M 25-54.
- 8 straight quarters of year-over-year growth in HH, P2+, P25-54/18-49.
- Fueled by the success of new series Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman and Wonders of the Solar System, both of which are posting double and triple-digit gains in all key demos vs. the 3Q prime average, the network posted sizable double-digit gains in all demos, including HH, +44% (186k v 129k); P2+, +45% (242k v 167k); P25-54, +41% (110k v 78k) and M25-54, +43% (76k v 53k).
- Driven by War Birds of Europe and Military Channel's airing of movies such as Windtalkers, the network posted gains in all key demos, including P2+, +5% (140k vs. 133k); P25-54, +7% (59k v 55k); M25-54, +14% (49 v 43k) and M18-49, +9% (38k v35k).
DISCOVERY EN ESPA?OL**
- Best 3Q ever in all key demos.
- Driven by top specials and series, including El Caso Colosio, Crudo Y Sin Sensura and the debut of original series Norte A Sur, the network is up +28% in HH and P18-49 and +42% in M18-49.
- #2 Hispanic Pay-TV Network among all primary demos, topping all sports cable networks.