via press release:
HALFTIME REPORT: MOST-WATCHED NFL SEASON EVER
More than 175 Million Fans Tune In
Local Ratings on Record Pace
NFL Games 14 Most-Watched Shows on TV this Season & 30 Most-Watched Shows among Adults 18-49
More fans are watching NFL games on television through the season’s first nine weeks than ever before, according to information provided by The Nielsen Company.
More than 175 million fans have tuned in to at least part of an NFL game this season – topping the 170 million viewers at this point last year. The average NFL game telecast (including broadcast and cable) has drawn 18.3 million viewers – double the average primetime viewership (8.6 million) for the big four broadcast networks in the new television season.
Following are some fast facts about the NFL on TV at midseason:
- NFL games account for the 14 most-watched programs on television since the NFL season kicked off on Sept. 9. This compares to NFL games accounting for the six most-watched shows at this point last season and none of the top 15 shows five years ago.
- NFL games are averaging 18.3 million viewers – up seven percent from last year at this point (17.2 million).
- NFL games account for the 30 most-watched programs on television (since Sept. 9) among adults aged 18-49 – with each of the networks televising NFL games represented on that list.
- An NFL game telecast has been television’s most-watched program in each of the nine weeks of the NFL season.
- NFL games top the local ratings in NFL markets 86 percent of the time – the highest rate in history after nine weeks.
- 10 NFL clubs have posted local-market ratings increases of at least 20 percent compared to last year at this time.
Following are the most-watched programs on television since the beginning of the NFL season:
|1. FOX Sunday National (mostly Packers-Eagles), 9/12||28.0 million|
|2. CBS Sunday National (mostly Colts-Eagles), 11/7||27.8 million|
|3. NBC Thursday Night Kickoff Game (Vikings-Saints), 9/9||27.5 million|
|4. CBS Sunday National (mostly Patriots-Jets), 9/19||27.0 million|
|5. FOX Sunday National (mostly Cowboys-Vikings), 10/17||26.0 million|
|6. NBC(Vikings-Packers), 10/24||25.7 million|
|7. NBC(Cowboys-Redskins), 9/12||25.3 million|
|8. FOX Sunday National (mostly Vikings-Patriots), 10/31||25.2 million|
|9. CBS Sunday National (mostly Colts-Broncos), 9/26||23.1 million|
|9. FOX Sunday National (mostly Redskins-Eagles), 10/3||23.1 million|
|9. NBC(Giants-Colts), 9/19||23.1 million|
|12. FOX Sunday Single (mostly Cowboys-Texans & Eagles-Jaguars), 9/26||22.2 million|
|13. CBS Sunday National (mostly Patriots-Chargers), 10/24||21.9 million|
|14. CBS Sunday Single (mostly Jets-Broncos & Ravens-Patriots), 10/17||21.5 million|
|15., 9/27||21.4 million|
Source: NFL & The Nielsen Company, 9/9-11/7/10
Following is the list of 27 NFL markets where football was the top-rated program for the week of Nov. 1-7:
|Week of 11/1–11/7||HH||HH||RTG|
|Milwaukee||Cowboys at Packers||11/7/10||45.6||62||1|
|Kansas City||Chiefs at Raiders||11/7/10||45.2||68||1|
|New Orleans||Saints at Panthers||11/7/10||44.9||67||1|
|Indianapolis||Texans at Colts||11/1/10||43.6||58||1|
|Baltimore||Dolphins at Ravens||11/7/10||36.2||64||1|
|Philadelphia||Colts at Eagles||11/7/10||35.7||54||1|
|Minneapolis||Cardinals at Vikings||11/7/10||34.9||70||1|
|Cleveland||Patriots at Browns||11/7/10||32.2||59||1|
|Boston||Patriots at Browns||11/7/10||30.7||60||1|
|Buffalo||Bears vs Bills (Toronto)||11/7/10||28.8||48||1|
|Chicago||Bears vs Bills (Toronto)||11/7/10||27.1||53||1|
|Detroit||Jets at Lions||11/7/10||27.0||52||1|
|San Diego||Chargers at Texans||11/7/10||27.0||55||1|
|Atlanta||Buccaneers at Falcons||11/7/10||22.5||43||1|
|Colts at Eagles||11/7/10||22.4||35||1|
|Houston||Texans at Colts||11/1/10||22.0||33||1|
|Phoenix||Cardinals at Vikings||11/7/10||21.3||45||1|
|Tampa||Buccaneers at Falcons||11/7/10||19.7||40||1|
|Charlotte||Saints at Panthers||11/7/10||19.5||38||1|
|Seattle||Giants at Seahawks||11/7/10||19.1||45||1|
|Washington, DC||Colts at Eagles||11/7/10||18.5||33||1|
|Pittsburgh||Dolphins at Ravens||11/7/10||18.2||36||1|
|Jacksonville||Colts at Eagles||11/7/10||18.1||28||1|
|Miami||Dolphins at Ravens||11/7/10||17.6||37||1|
|New York||Jets at Lions||11/7/10||16.5||35||1|
|Denver||Chiefs at Raiders||11/7/10||15.3||32||1|
|St. Louis||Chiefs at Raiders||11/7/10||14.5||25||1|
Source: NFL & The Nielsen Company