Time Warner Cable Tests Lower-Priced, Stripped Down Video Offering
via press release:
Time Warner Cable Launches TV Essentials
New Video-Only Package Targets Customers Hit by Tough Economic Times
NEW YORK — Time Warner Cable today announced the launch of Time Warner Cable TV Essentials, a new video-only package designed to address the video needs of customers facing difficult choices during these tough economic times. The Time Warner Cable TV Essentials Package will begin commercial trials in the coming weeks in Time Warner Cable’s New York City and Northeast Ohio divisions, with further launches planned for 2011.
“We understand that people are under pretty serious economic duress and would like to have more choice and the option of paying for less programming”
“We understand that people are under pretty serious economic duress and would like to have more choice and the option of paying for less programming,” said Glenn Britt, President, CEO and Chairman of Time Warner Cable. “This video-only package isn’t for everyone, but we hope that some of those most hard-hit by the current economic conditions find it to be a helpful option.”
The Time Warner Cable TV Essentials package includes:
- Time Warner Cable’s Basic tier (including local channels from ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and PBS)
- 12 of the top 20 Nielsen-rated cable channels, plus other channels
- Representative channels from each major genre: news/information, sports, kids, music, lifestyle, shopping, and general entertainment
- Two standard-definition digital cable set-top boxes, featuring an on-screen guide and Music Choice
- Enhanced TV features including StartOverTM and LookBackTM (where available)
- Access to the library of new release movies through Time Warner On Demand (paid VOD only; no free VOD)
The package, valued at $49.99 per month, will be discounted to $39.99 per month in New York City, and $29.95 per month in Northeast Ohio, for a promotional period of 12 months.
About Time Warner Cable Time Warner Cable is the second-largest cable operator in the U.S., with technologically advanced, well-clustered systems located in five geographic areas — New York State (including New York City), the Carolinas, Ohio, Southern California (including Los Angeles) and Texas. Time Warner Cable serves more than 14.7 million customers who subscribe to one or more of its video, high-speed data and voice services. Time Warner Cable Business Class offers a suite of phone, Internet, Ethernet and cable television services to businesses of all sizes. Time Warner Cable Media Sales, the advertising arm of Time Warner Cable, offers national, regional and local companies innovative advertising solutions that are targeted and affordable. More information about the services of Time Warner Cable is available at www.timewarnercable.com, www.twcbc.com and www.twcmediasales.com.