Giants-Eagles Scores 4th Best Overnight Rating in Sunday Night Football History
via press release:
SNF No. 1 Show on Sunday Night For 11th Straight Week
Philadelphia (38.1) Led All Metered Markets; New York Registers 20.1 (7th Among Metered Markets)
SNF Powered NBC to a Sunday Night Win
Best November Primetime NFL Game in 12 Years
NEW YORK – November 22, 2010 – Last night’s “Sunday Night Football” thriller was the fourth-highest rated game in SNF history, was up 31 percent over last year’s Week 11 game, was the top-rated show on Sunday night for 11th straight week, led NBC to another Sunday night win and was the best November primetime NFL rating in 12 years, according to overnight data released today by the Nielsen Company. The game, in which the Eagles beat the Giants, 27-17, in a battle for first place in the NFC East, registered a 15.9 overnight rating and a 24 share.
- The 15.9/24 overnight rating is an increase of 31 percent over last year’s Week 11 game (Eagles-Bears, 12.1/19) and up 18 percent from Week 11 in 2008, which featured the Cowboys-Redskins (13.5/20).
- The rating peaked at a 16.9/31 from 11:30-11:45 p.m. ET in the fourth quarter with the outcome of the game hanging in the balance.
- The 15.9/24 overnight was the best for a November primetime game since Packers-Steelers on 11/9/98 on ABC (16.0/24).
- Four NBC games this season, including this year’s Thursday night opener, rank among the top five NBC primetime games ever.
“SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL” TOP 10 OVERNIGHT RATING/SHARE:
1. 9/20/09, Giants-Cowboys, 16.5/27 (Dallas Cowboys Stadium Debut)
2. 9/12/10, Cowboys-Redskins, 16.4/26 (Week 1 – 2010)
3. 10/24/10, Vikings-Packers, 16.0/25 (Favre returns to Lambeau II)
4. 11/21/10, Giants-Eagles, 15.9/24 (Last Night’s game)
5. 11/25/07, Eagles-Patriots, 15.6/24
6. 12/14/08, Giants-Cowboys, 15.4/24
7. 9/19/10, Giants-Colts, 15.2/24 (“Manning Bowl II”)
T8. 11/15/09, Patriots-Colts, 15.1/24
T8. 11/5/06, Colts-Patriots, 15.1/22
10. 9/10/06, Colts-Giants, 14.7/23 (Original “Manning Bowl”)
*The NFL Kickoff Opener on Thursday, Sept. 9, 2010 between the Vikings and Saints generated an overnight rating/share of 17.7/28.
DEFEATED ALL SUNDAY NIGHT COMPETITION: Last night’s “Sunday Night Football” broadcast defeated all Sunday Night competition for the 11th time in 11 weeks, on a night that included such competition as ABC’s American Music Awards, CBS’s 60 Minutes, Amazing Race, Undercover Boss and CSI: Miami, and Fox’s Simpsons, Cleveland Show and Family Guy.
- “Sunday Night Football” powered NBC to a Sunday night win in primetime (7-11 p.m.) topping second place CBS (which was aided by an NFL overrun) by 27 percent. NBC also beat ABC by 76 percent and Fox by 251 percent.
SNF IS 10 FOR 10: When the viewership is available tomorrow from Nielsen, “Sunday Night Football” is expected to be the most-watched Sunday night show for the 11th consecutive week (every week this season). Last season, SNF was the most-watched Sunday night primetime broadcast in a record 15 of 16 (94 percent) weeks. In 2008, SNF won 13 of 16 (81 percent) Sunday nights after winning 11 of 16 in 2007 (69 percent) and nine of 16 in 2006 (56 percent).
TOP METERED MARKETS FOR GIANTS-EAGLES:
- Philadelphia, 38.1/53
- Norfolk, 26.3/38
- New Orleans, 24.2/32
- Las Vegas, 23.9/35
- Richmond, 20.3/32
- San Diego, 20.2/30
- New York, 20.1/21
- Atlanta, 18.5/29
- Washington, D.C., 18.3/29
- Charlotte, 18.0/28
Follow NBC Sports PR on Twitter at Twitter.com/NBCSportsPR
Follow “Sunday Night Football” on Twitter at Twitter.com/SNFonNBC
Become a fan of “Sunday Night Football” on Facebook at: Facebook.com/SNFonNBC