|MSNBC BEATS CNN FOR THE SECOND CONSECUTIVE YEAR IN PRIMETIME AMONG A25-54
AND FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER IN TOTAL VIEWERS
MSNBC Tops CNN in Total Day and Sales Day for the first time ever in A25-54
CNN Hits All-Time Lows at 7 p.m., 8 p.m., and 9 p.m.
NEW YORK – December 20, 2010 – MSNBC ends 2010 on a high note, beating CNN in primetime for the second year in a row among A25-54 and for the first time ever in total viewers, while CNN drops to record lows in primetime.
The following are MSNBC ratings highlights for 2010 (data through December 16, 2010):
- MSNBC ranked #2 in primetime and beat CNN for the second year in a row with A25-54 and for the first time ever in total viewers topping them in M-F (P2+:873,000 vs. 641,000/A25-54: 249,000 vs. 186,000) and M-Su (P2+ 765,000 vs. 595,000/A25-54 249,000 vs. 174,000). CNN had their lowest primetime delivery ever in A25-54 and total viewers.
- In 2010, “Morning Joe” beat CNN’s “American Morning” among total viewers for the first time ever (387,000 vs. 310,000). “Morning Joe” had the best delivery ever for MSNBC in the 6-9 a.m. time slot while CNN had their smallest audience in the time slot since 2000.
- 2010 marks the best total viewer performance in the 6 p.m. hour ever for MSNBC, with “The Ed Show” ranked #2 in both A25-54 and total viewers for the full year. Compared to 2009, “The Ed Show” is up +8% in A25-54 and +20% in total viewers, while CNN has dropped –28% in A25-54 and –29% in total viewers. CNN had their lowest 6 p.m. delivery in A25-54 since 1999 and the lowest total viewer average since 2002. “The Ed Show” had 642,000 total viewers (vs. 543,000 for CNN) and 157,000 A25-54 (vs. 149,00 for CNN).
- "Hardball with Chris Matthews" at 7 p.m. ranked #2 with A25-54 (172,000) and P2+ (634,000), beating CNN in the hour for the first time ever. CNN delivered lowest A25-54 and total viewers in the hour ever (137,000 A25-54 and 462,000 P2+).
- "Countdown with Keith Olbermann" ends 2010 with a huge lead over CNN, rating #2 for the 4th consecutive year with total viewers (1.038 million vs. 527,000) and A25-54 (269,000 vs. 149,000). With the end of “Campbell Brown” and the start of “Parker Spitzer,” CNN hit all-time lows in the hour with both adults and total viewers.
- In 2010, "The Rachel Maddow Show" ranked #2 at 9 p.m. beating CNN’s "Larry King Live" for the full year the first time ever among A25-54 (256,000 vs. 177,000) and total viewers (954,000 vs. 676,000). 2010 was the lowest rated year ever for "Larry King Live."
- The combination of “The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell” and the “Countdown” encore at 10 p.m. ranked #2 in 2010, beating CNN's live editions of "Anderson Cooper 360" among A25-54 (217,000 vs. 207,000) and P2+ (674,000 vs. 667,000). Since the premiere, “The Last Word” has ranked #2 and topped “AC360” among total viewers and A25-54.
- MSNBC placed #2 in Total Day (M-Su 6 a.m.-6a.m.) for the year, beating CNN for the first time ever among A25-54 (141,000 vs. 133,000). MSNBC also topped CNN for the year in Sales Day (M-Su 6 a.m-2a.m.) in A25-54 for the first time ever (146,000 vs. 143, 000).
- In 2010, MSNBC is # 1 in delivering African American and Hispanic viewers for the first time ever (M-Su Primetime).
- Weekend Longform (Sa/Su 7p-2a) ranked #1 for the first time in a decade.