BET Networks Posts Another Blockbuster Year In Ratings, Marking 2010 The Best In Network History
via press release:
BET NETWORKS POSTS ANOTHER BLOCKBUSTER YEAR IN RATINGS, MARKING 2010 THE BEST IN NETWORK HISTORY
NEW YORK – December 23, 2010 – As BET celebrates its 30th anniversary the Network closes the year with historic ratings with an average of 506,000 viewers. According to the Nielsen Company, BET continues to be the #1 cable network among African Americans, and remains the #1 cable network among African Americans 18-49 for six consecutive years. 2010 ranked as #1 calendar year in BET history and is the second consecutive year to post audience gains.
In 2010, BET delivered an unprecedented number of music specials, and the Network’s star-studded signature specials continue to post double digit gains over last year among key viewers. BET’s original series continue to gain momentum both within their respective franchise and on cable, and additionally, series acquisitions continue to deliver significant results to the network’s ratings success paving the way for original scripted programming in 2011. Additional highlights from the year include:
- In its second season, THE MO’NIQUE SHOW remains the #1 late night talk show on television among African Americans.
- THE FAMILY CREWS averaged more than 1 million viewers each week and is the #1 new BET original of CY10.
- TINY & TOYA 2 ranked as the #1 original series of CY10, averaging 1.2 million viewers weekly. Moreover, each week it was the #1 cable telecast among African Americans.
- SUNDAY BEST season 3 is the #1 gospel program on TV for three consecutive years averaging 1.3 million viewers each week. Additionally, the series posted year over year time slot gains of +36% and +19% over the CY10 time-slot.
- 106 & PARK, also celebrating its 10th anniversary in 2010, set a record this calendar year as the #1 year in its history with 753,000 viewers. Each quarter of CY10 posted year over year gains and November was the #1 month for the franchise.
- MY MIC SOUNDS NICE, the Network’s first original music documentary, posted double-digit time slot gains of +71% compared to a year ago and +23% versus the CY10 time period.
- The BET AWARDS ’10 is the #1 CY10 cable award show among adults 18-49 for the fifth consecutive year and is among TV’s top 10 award shows of 2010 (viewers 18-49 and 18-34) for the second consecutive year.
- The HIP HOP AWARDS ’10 is the #1 hip hop themed telecast on TV for five consecutive years and was the #2 in its franchise history ever (2.3 million households).
- CELEBRATION OF GOSPEL ’10 is the #1 in its franchise history and was the 10th consecutive year as the #1 gospel religious telecast on TV.
- RIP THE RUNWAY ’10 is the #1 in BET history and was the #1 fashion themed special on cable for CY10.
- The first ever televised BLACK GIRLS ROCK! telecast garnered a record 2.14 coverage rating and more than tripled BET’s primetime time slot for CY10.
- From Academy Award winning titles like THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND and popular cult classics like BOYZ N THE HOOD, BET offered a wide variety of movies that posted double-digit gains year over year with movie premieres this year (+14%) and in addition, movies are up +8% among total viewers versus the prior year.
- Led by the hit titles MADEA’S FAMILY REUNION, AMERICAN GANGSTER and LOVE & BASKETBALL, movies are up +8% among total viewers versus the prior year.
Additionally, in 2010 CENTRIC celebrated its one year anniversary with a bang marked by strategic acquisitions, more original programming and the launch of its signature special, the 2010 SOUL TRAIN AWARDS. In 4Q10, CENTRIC posted a household rating up +11% from 3Q10. Other highlights include:
- The 2010 SOUL TRAIN AWARDS is the #1 CY10 CENTRIC telecast among households.
- THE STEVE HARVEY PROJECT is the #1 CY10 CENTRIC original series telecast and was #1 CY10 series in prime on CENTRIC with household rating gains +58% vs. the 3Q10 M-F time period average.
- THE COSBY SHOW ranks among the top five CY10 series in prime on CENTRIC among households.
On the digital side, BET enjoyed key gains in mobile and online usage in 2010:
- BET Mobile page views are up 791% versus year over year.
- On BET.com, video views are up 103% year over year and unique users are up 16% year over year.*
- BET.com set another record for most unique users in a month in June, which was up 24% compared to the prior year.*
*All web measurements are based on Omniture.
About BET Networks
BET Networks, a division of Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), is the nation’s leading provider of quality entertainment, music, news and public affairs television programming for the African-American audience. The primary BET channel reaches more than 90 million households and can be seen in the United States, Canada, the Caribbean, the United Kingdom and sub-Saharan Africa. BET is the dominant African-American consumer brand with a diverse group of business extensions: BET.com, a leading Internet destination for Black entertainment, music, culture, and news; CENTRIC, a 24-hour entertainment network targeting the 25- to 54-year-old African-American audience; BET Digital Networks – BET Gospel and BET Hip Hop, attractive alternatives for cutting-edge entertainment tastes; BET Home Entertainment, a collection of BET-branded offerings for the home environment including DVDs and video-on-demand; BET Event Productions, a full-scale event management and production company with festivals and live events spanning the globe; BET Mobile, which provides ringtones, games and video content for wireless devices; and BET International, which operates BET in the United Kingdom and oversees the extension of BET network programming for global distribution.
Centric is a 24-hour music and entertainment channel that reflects the lifestyle and sophistication of today’s African-American and multicultural adult viewer. With a finger on the pulse of an ever-changing beat, its compelling music content fuses Soul, R&B, Neo-Soul, Hip Hop, Reggae, Gospel, Jazz, Old School, New School and everything in between with today’s hottest artists. It is a unique of mix of music, culture and lifestyle programming that embodies the lives, tastes and aspirations of the CENTRIC viewer: All you. All day. All night.