The Weather Channel Sees Record Numbers Over Holiday Weekend
via press release:
The Weather Channel is the Ultimate Consumer Weather Resource on iPad and across Platforms during Holiday Weekend Storms
ATLANTA (December 28, 2010) – During this past holiday weekend’s severe winter weather that included a Northeast blizzard and snow along much of the East Coast, The Weather Channel Companies (TWCC) received record television ratings days and record page views on its iPad app and iPhone app. The company also saw increased numbers across its television, online and mobile platforms over the weekend of weather events and holiday happenings from Dec. 25-26.
The Weather Channel for iPad application saw its largest page view day ever. On Sunday, Dec. 26, the app saw 3.8 million page views as a result of winter storms, new iPad app downloads and elevated activity over the holiday weekend. Additional digital traffic highlights, according to internal numbers,* include:
- On Dec. 25, The Weather Channel for iPad application saw more than 3.1 million page views, far exceeding the previous record of 1.3 million page views set on Dec. 11 and representing a 229 percent increase over the December 2010 daily average.
- On Dec. 26, the iPad app achieved a record 3.8 million page views, which surpassed the record set on Christmas Day and represented an increase of 301 percent over the December monthly average so far.
- Over the two-day period of Dec. 25-26, weather.com on PC saw more than 117 million page views, while TWC mobile (mobile Web and apps) received more than 82 million page views.
- On Dec. 26, weather.com on PC page views saw a 74 percent increase over the December 2010 daily average.
- Page views for The Weather Channel for iPhone app peaked on Dec. 26, representing a 117 percent increase over the December 2010 daily average. This record-setting number proves to be its best page view day since data was available in June 2010.
- Consumers responded to streaming video available on weather.com. The site saw more than 3.5 million video streams Dec. 25-26.
TWC offered the most comprehensive cross-platform weather coverage over the weekend, including TWC meteorologists presenting live television coverage from New York, Boston, Raleigh, NC, and Philadelphia. Network ratings highlights, according to Nielsen, include:
- Sunday’s average was TWC’s highest Total Day (3 a.m.-3 a.m.) performance in 2010 among adults 25-54 and was No. 2 among households.
- TWC average Total Day delivery (3 a.m.-3 a.m.) for adults aged 25-54 increased 82 percent versus month-to-date** on Sat., Dec. 25 and 121 percent on Sun., Dec. 26
- TWC was the No. 1 News Network in the morning (7 a.m.-11 a.m.) on both Saturday and Sunday for adults 25-54, and No. 1 across Total Day (3 a.m.-3 a.m.) on Sunday, beating CNN, FOX News, HLN and MSNBC.***
- TWC reached 45 million Total Viewers (P2+) over the holiday weekend (Dec. 25-26), more than any news network****
Visit The Weather Channel on television, online, on mobile and on iPad to stay informed of the most accurate, up-to-date weather information available.
*Source: Adobe (Omniture) SiteCatalyst
**Source: Nielsen/MultiTrak. 12/25/10 and 12/26/10, 3a3a, vs 12/1 – 12/24/10 average
***Source: Nielsen/MultiTrak. 12/25/10 and 12/26/10, 3a3a and 7a11a, CNN, FOXNC, HLN, MSNBC, TWC
****Nielsen NPower, Unification = 12/25/10-12/26/10; 6a-6a; 1 minute qualifier; beating CNN, CNBC, FOXNC, HLN, MSNBC
About The Weather Channel Companies
The Weather Channel Companies (TWCC) is made up of The Weather Channel television network, The Weather Channel digital properties, and Weather Services International (WSI). The Weather Channel® is based in Atlanta and is seen in more than 100 million U.S. households. TWC also operates Weatherscan, a 24-hour all-local weather network; The Weather Channel Radio Network; and The Weather Channel HD. The digital properties of TWC, which include the weather.com® site, The Weather Channel Desktop and The Weather Channel Mobile, reach more than 40 million unique users online each month and is the most popular source of online weather, news and information according to Nielsen//NetRatings. WSI, headquartered in Andover, MA, primarily provides business-to-business weather services, particularly for the media, aviation, marine and energy sectors. TWCC is owned by a consortium made up of NBC Universal and the private equity firms The Blackstone Group and Bain Capital.