The fact that the ratings below are "coverage" ratings bears explaining.
Most of the ratings on our site are "national" ratings, where a ratings point equals 1% of all US TV viewers in that particular group. "Coverage" ratings, which are not infrequently used in cable network PR measure the % of that cable networks reachable subscribers, so a single coverage ratings point equals 1% of the TV viewers who receive that particular cable network.
Also, to put the 1.16 million in primetime average somewhat into perspective, during Christmas week, 17 cable networks averaged more than that for the entire week.
via press release:
Fast Nationals for OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network (Preliminary Numbers)
All Ratings Are Coverage Ratings
Full weekend numbers for the entire launch weekend will be available on Tuesday.
Saturday, January 1 Prime Premieres
- #3 ad-supported cable network with W25-54 at 8 p.m. and 9 p.m., behind only ESPN and USA Network.
- Prime 8-11 p.m. average was a .93 W25-54 (#4), 1.0 Million P2+, 1.1HH .
- Premiere episode of “Season 25: Oprah Behind the Scenes” (Sat, Jan 1, 8-9 p.m. ET/PT) delivered a 1.1 W25-54 (#3 in time period), 1,160 P2+ and 1.24HH rating.
- “Season 25: Oprah Behind the Scenes” episode 102 (Sat, Jan 1 9-10 p.m. ET/PT) garnered a 1.1 W25-54 (#3 in time period), 1,196 P2+, 1.27HH rating.
*10 p.m. was the third airing of “Oprah’s Guide to OWN.”
Sunday, January 2 Prime
- “Ask Oprah’s All Stars” (Sun, Jan 2 8-10 p.m. ET/PT) premiere episode was #9 with W25-54, garnering a .79 W25-54, 968P2+, 1.02HH rating.
- “Master Class” (Sun, Jan 2 10-11 p.m. ET/PT) earned a .45 W25-54 (#21), 602P2+ and a .64HH rating.
- #14 overall in Prime, earning a .64 W25-54, 822 P2+, .86HH rating.
Source: Nielsen Media Research
OWN is currently available in approximately 67% of homes in the United States and 80% of cable homes.