The season premiere of MTV's Jersey Shore on Thursday drew 8.45 million viewers, that's 38% above the viewership (6.1 million viewers) for the late October season finale and is MTV's most viewed series telecast ever. It drew a 4.2 adults 18-49 rating, up 35% from the 3.1 adults 18-49 rating for the late October finale. That crushed the 18-49 ratings for everything on broadcast at 10pm last night.
So much for the meme that DVRs kill everything at 10pm.
Here's the official press note with more information from MTV:
MTV’S HIGHEST RATED SERIES TELECAST EVER! SEASON THREE OF“JERSEY SHORE” DELIVERS 8.45 MILLION TOTAL VIEWERS FOR PREMIERE
“JERSEY SHORE” SEASON THREE PREMIERE
- Delivered 8.45 million total viewers.
- Averaged an 8.3 P12-34 rating and 6.5 million P12-34 viewers.
- MTV’s most watched series telecast ever.
- Delivered more P12-34 viewers than any broadcast or cable television show this broadcast season.*
- For P12-34, the “Jersey Shore” premiere is +63% versus the Season Two premiere (8.3 vs. 5.1) and +36% versus the Season Two finale (8.3 vs. 6.1).
- For P12-34, “Jersey Shore” is +46% vs. the Season Two average (8.3 vs. 5.7).
*Excludes sporting events.
Source: Nielsen. L+SD cvg rtg. 1/6/11. Season 2: 7/29/10-10/21/10. Rank on 000s. Broadcast season: 9/20/10-1/5/11.