“Good Morning America” Posts 2nd Largest Demo Audience in Almost a Year

Categories: Morning News TV Ratings,Network TV Press Releases

Written By

January 21st, 2011

via press release:

“GMA” Posts 2nd Largest Demo Audience in Almost a Year

“GMA” Cuts Total Viewing Gap with NBC’s “Today” Year-to-Year

“GMA” Expands Demo Lead Over CBS’ “Early Show” Week-to-Week and
Total Viewing Lead Year-to-Year

ABC’s “Good Morning America” averaged 4.73 million Total Viewers and a 1.5/10/1.82 million among Adults 25-54 for the week of January 10, 2011, posting its strongest numbers in 4 weeks – since w/o 12/13/10. In fact, “GMA” drew its second largest Adults 25-54 audience in 10 months – since w/o 3/08/10.

“GMA” grew week-to-week for the 2nd week running in both Total Viewers (+4%) and Adults 25-54 (+5%). In addition, “GMA” built on its year-ago performance in Total Viewers (+9%), growing 4 of the last 5 weeks.

Season to date, “GMA” is up +4% in Total Viewers versus its year-ago average (NBC’s “Today” is down -4%, CBS’ “Early Show” is flat).

Compared to the same week last year, “GMA” narrowed the weekly total viewing gap (1.14 million) by -18% with “Today.” In fact, “GMA” has closed the total viewing gap with “Today” versus the same week last year for the 6th week in a row and for 16 th time in 17 weeks of the season.

“GMA” topped CBS’ “Early Show,” by 1.71 million Total Viewers and by 535,000 Adults 25-54 viewers, increasing its weekly Adults 25-54 advantage over the CBS program by +2% compare to the previous week. In addition, “GMA” improved its advantage over the “Early Show” by +20% in Total Viewers compared to the same week last year.

*Note: On Monday 1/10/11 through Friday 1/14/11, “GMA” aired with lower coverage (94% - 96%) due to being preempted or joined in progress for special local weather reports in several markets across the country. As a result, “GMA” had lower weekly coverage (95%).

MORNING NEWS (Week of January 10, 2011)

Total Viewers Adults 25-54 Households
ABC 4,730,000 1.5/10; 1,820,000 3.5/12
NBC 5,870,000 2.2/15; 2,700,000 4.2/15
CBS 3,020,000 1.0/ 7; 1,290,000 2.2/ 8

Source: The Nielsen Company, NTI (Total Viewers and Adults 25-54); Live+SD for weeks of 1/10/11, 1/03/11, & 1/11/11. Live+7 (where available) & Live+SD for Season-to-date 10-11 vs. 09-10 (9/20/10-1/16/11. 9/21/09-1/17/10).

The Emmy Award-winning morning news program, featuring the anchor team of Robin Roberts, George Stephanopoulos, Sam Champion and Juju Chang, airs live Monday through Friday from 7:00-9:00 a.m. ET on the ABC Television Network. Jim Murphy is the senior executive producer and Tom Cibrowski is the executive producer of ABC’s “Good Morning America.”

 
© 2014 Tribune Digital Ventures